What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic VFR Flight Plan

f1rocket

Well Known Member
Getting ready for my long cross country to get my airplane painted. I intend to file VFR flight plans for each leg primarily so my family can follow me. I tend to use iFlightplanner to plan my flights and it allows you to file electronically. When I do, they just sit there. I can't find any information on when they send them to the FAA. Anyone have any experience?

In the past, I've called up flight service only to find out that they do not have any record of my flight plan and filing over the radio is a huge pain for me. I prefer to file electronically and just open with FS.

I can tell you that Foreflight does file IFR flight plans. Every time I used Foreflight with at least 2-hours and less than 24-hours, the IFR flight plan was on file when I went to get my clearance.

It was a few years before Foreflight since I needed a VFR flight plan to cross an International boarder.

I can tell you that Foreflight does file IFR flight plans. Every time I used Foreflight with at least 2-hours and less than 24-hours, the IFR flight plan was on file when I went to get my clearance.

It was a few years before Foreflight since I needed a VFR flight plan to cross an International boarder.

It files VFR and DVFR as well. Did it multiple times to Canada and once to the Bahamas. However it doesn't file FROM abroad. I don't know why :confused:

VFR flight plans don't go to ATC, they sit with FSS. That is why you open and close them directly with FSS. ATC wouldn't know about your VFR flight plan until you fail to close it and a search is initiated by FSS so this is not a good way for your family to track you. Use flight following. Can't help you with iFlightplanner though. Sounds like a filing issue within their program. I use Naviator to flile all my flight plans through Duats and don't have any issues with them going in.

Fltplan.com goes to the ATC controller. I use it all the time, plus you can activate them on the ground with a cellphone call to them. We're kinda remote here, out in the country and they suggested that I call them just before takeoff.

Best,

Consider APRS

Getting ready for my long cross country to get my airplane painted. I intend to file VFR flight plans for each leg primarily so my family can follow me.

Randy - consider adding an APRS tracker to your steed. Inexpensive, reliable, and well supported by the VAF family.

I use flight following on my cross countries and my family is able to follow me on flightaware.com. Never have filed Vfr.

Flt plan

I use iFlightplanner for long cross countries with multiple legs. They have an option (the free version) where you tell them when to file the plan and they will send you a text to let you know it has been filed. It has always worked great, saves me the hassle of dealing with filing at fuel stops, all I need to do is check the weather and press on if the weather is OK.

Here's a little trick I figured out. If you file a VFR flight plan you only show up about half the time on flight aware. If you want to make sure to show up on flight aware file an IFR flight plan, but do not activate it. Call up whatever ATC facility is near by after you take off and ask for VFR flight following. They usually will see your IFR flight plan in the system and ask you if you want to activate it. Just say no. They will give you a transponder code and you will for sure show up on flight aware.

AFSS, APRS, Flight Following, and VFR Flight Plans

Randy, the FAA's contractor for FSS is Lockheed Martin and they have recently introduced a completely new Automatic Flight Service Station site.

https://www.lmfsweb.afss.com/Website/

I have used it several times to file VFR flight plans electronically and it worked without a hitch. The tutorial they provided says this method is faster and receives higher priority in getting our VFR plans into the system than DUATS. Plus it's free. (well, it doesn't cost us to use it as it's already paid for by us taxpayers, but that's another topic.) Notice the "Helpful Videos" link at the bottom of their main page.

The AFSS site also provides weather briefings, etc., and other electronic info we're used to seeing from several sources.

Glad you're making the trip! :). Enjoy, and celebrate life!

P.S. I also use APRS on every flight and my wife and adult children are reminded before long cross country flights of how to track me. I also use Flight Following on cross country flights. I file VFR flight plans for all Pilots N Paws flights. It's not a requirement, but if I were to have an off airport event, I'd like to be in the system...for me as well as the dog! :)

Last edited:
Flight Following vs. Flight Plan

Randy:

Bottom Line Up Front: if your intention is to provide a tracking tool for someone on the ground, I'd suggest using VFR Flight Following (FF), which should enable FlightAware tracking.

(long version)
I don't use VFR flight plans because the response doesn't start until after expiration of a flight plan, which creates a very large search area.
I started using FF because of the faster response time/smaller search area; to build my radio skills; and to increase my situational awareness as I traversed busy SoCal airspace. The value of FF was reinforced when I had an in-flight situation; I didn't contact them, but within 2(?) minutes of my course change for a vector home, SoCal ATC called and asked me if I was ok. When I explained the situation and my plans, they kept me on freq all the way home, until I could check in with the tower. SoCal also arranged, offline from me, a firefighting dispatch, which was something I hadn't thought of; I was surprised and happy to see firefighters on deck when I recovered.

(Lessons learned: 1) Remember to "Communicate" in addition to "Aviate" and "Navigate." 2) Declare the emergency, right away, if there's any doubt.)

FlightAware also provides detailed GPS heading, altitude, and groundspeed displays for some few days after the flight. Nice to have data for reviewing performance, routes, headwinds, etc.

I don't have any experience with APRS, but it sounds like a good independent alternative.

Have fun on the flight!

Here's a little trick I figured out. If you file a VFR flight plan you only show up about half the time on flight aware. If you want to make sure to show up on flight aware file an IFR flight plan, but do not activate it. Call up whatever ATC facility is near by after you take off and ask for VFR flight following. They usually will see your IFR flight plan in the system and ask you if you want to activate it. Just say no. They will give you a transponder code and you will for sure show up on flight aware.

Alternatively, you can file a VFR flight plan through FlightAware's flight planning tool. Selecting "Quickfile" at the top of the form will give you a simplified form. The flight plan will be submitted to the FSS, but you don't need to open it.

This does the same thing as filing IFR in that we now have a record of the planned flight. That, in turn, makes it easier for us to associate position data from the FAA to your flight.

(Disclaimer: I don't work directly with this stuff at FA, so I'm being intentionally vague rather than risk making a wrong guess about something)

I used to have about a 50% success rate on my flights showing up on FlightAware while I was getting flight following. I tried the flight planning trick for a flight I took Sunday and it worked like a charm.

Back