What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic Canceling Headsets don't work with SL40

jdiehl

Well Known Member
I've been using David Clark 13.4's and running them directly to the built in intercom in my Garmin SL40. These pilot/copilot headsets work great with the radio except that I'm looking to purchase ENC headsets for the sake of our hearing. I recently plugged a pair of Bose A20 headsets into the plugs and could neither transmit nor hear any audio. I pulled one of the two plugs out slightly and I could then get audio through the radio.
So, is there something special about the ENC headsets/plugs that won't work in the jacks that work so well with my non ENC David Clarks? Yes, I tinkered with the squelch, side tone, etc., to no avail.

Thanks,

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

I've been using David Clark 13.4's and running them directly to the built in intercom in my Garmin SL40. These pilot/copilot headsets work great with the radio except that I'm looking to purchase ENC headsets for the sake of our hearing. I recently plugged a pair of Bose A20 headsets into the plugs and could neither transmit nor hear any audio. I pulled one of the two plugs out slightly and I could then get audio through the radio.
So, is there something special about the ENC headsets/plugs that won't work in the jacks that work so well with my non ENC David Clarks? Yes, I tinkered with the squelch, side tone, etc., to no avail.

Thanks,

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

You have a problem with a monophonic signal driving stereo headsets. There should be a switch somewhere on the headset for this called mono/stereo.

Thanks,

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa

Check the "Mono/Stereo" Switch on the Bose.

Change it and see what happens.

James

A number of years ago, I posted some detailed info on various vendor plug / jack incompatibility issues as there is no industry standard for the physical dimensions. I suggest you temporarily remove the jacks from the panel and look and visually verify the headset plugs make contact with the jack contacts when fully seated. You will probably see a difference.

ENC Headsets

Thanks Vern,

I believe there is a switch on the Bose headsets for stereo. I'll check it out soon.

Jim Diehl 7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

The switch is located in the battery compartment. There is also an auto shut-off switch. If you don't chat a lot then turn that off or your set will keep cutting off.

NC Headsets

I took your collective advice and found the 'small' switch hidden beneath the batteries. I flipped it to Stereo, headed out to the plane for a short flight, and the Bose worked perfectly with the SL40. Thank you VAF and all of the folks for supporting this site.

Jim Diehl RV-7A
Lock Haven, Pa.

Back