What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electricl Grounding

krueger44

I have read some articles on grounding which suggest brining all ground wires back to a commn grounding bar close to the battery with a direct connect to the battery. My question is does it also make sense to locally ground as well? Is this an unnessasary redundancy? Would I invite grounding loops?

Welcome to VAF!!

Eric, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

For the RV's with a firewall mounted battery, a common setup is to use a "forest of tabs" unit inside the cabin for all grounds in the panel, only local ground stuff like wing tip lights AP servos, etc.

http://www.bandc.biz/groundblock24-tab.aspx

With this setup, a bolt goes through the firewall, and the battery ground attaches there, the other side of the bolt holds the ground tab "forest" on the inside.

Good luck, and again, welcome aboard.

The electrons will flow to ground on the most efficient path. If you locally ground and run a wire back to the forest of tabs, then you would be creating the possibility of a ground loop. Local grounds are fine for many devices such as lights. You probably don't want any of your radios or sensitive avionics running two different ground paths.

Back