What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical wiring

Dorfie

Well Known Member
I often come across someone mentioning Vans electrical diagram. I have no electrical diagrams in my plan set, nor can I find any searching for it on the web. I did not order the Vans wiring kit, so it might be part of that. I would like to get a copy if possible.
Thanks.
Johan

Oy! You mean the one in the manual (not the prints) with the generator, incandescent lamps, rotating beacon, ADF, twisted wires and wire nuts?????

I called Van's and they sent me a copy in pdf format. It was somewhat useful to see their wire paths, but if you're doing anything at all different (ie, what most people do) then it's not all that informative.

==dave==

Another alternative is to use a VP/X. If you aren't comfortable with wiring, it will make things a bit easier and save you some time too.

Thanks for all the replies.

Much appreciated, especially for the PDF file from Bob. I am mostly interested as to where Vans installed certain items as well as the routing of wires. I have already wired both wings.
Stein is building my panel. I plan to install terminal strips http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=307
on left and right sides behind the panel that covers the flap tube. This is where I plan to have all the connections to and from the wings. If this is not a good idea, please tell me so!!
Bob, I am going with the VP-X.
Thanks.
Johan

Much appreciated, especially for the PDF file from Bob. I am mostly interested as to where Vans installed certain items as well as the routing of wires. I have already wired both wings.
Stein is building my panel. I plan to install terminal strips http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=307
on left and right sides behind the panel that covers the flap tube. This is where I plan to have all the connections to and from the wings. If this is not a good idea, please tell me so!!
Bob, I am going with the VP-X.
Thanks.
Johan

This will probably start a religious debate, but I'm not a fan of terminal strips. My experience goes back to an early career as an audio engineer traveling with large sound systems. They were always problematic due to the vibrations in the trucks.

There are a couple other options that I would recommend. The more expensive option is to buy a circular panel mount connector in the wing root. The less expensive option, which is documented on the AeroElectric site is to use db connector pins. (i.e. male ->female pins) Then cover them with heat shrink. This is lighter, smaller profile, and easy to repair a single conductor.

You also need to watch current ratings for the pins you use for both options. Pitot and landing lights may need larger gauge pins.

I used various Molex connectors for all my electrical connections located under the removable wing root panel. It made wiring easy and after final assembly a little dielectric grease on the connectors, plugged the connectors together and used a zip tie to make sure they do not come apart.

Or you could solder all the connections (except coax), and never worry about connector issues. Use solder selves or heat shrink. Let's face it, if the wings have to come off, the connections are the least of your worries!

Back