What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical wiring and fuel line separation

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm wiring up my -6A and have reached the point where I'm bringing wires through the spar. I'm at a bit of a loss, however, as I cannot maintain the 1/2" clearance from fuel lines mandated by AC43.13 where the lines emerge from the front of the spar - no matter how I would route it, I still have wires coming closer to 1/2" of the fuel lines associated with the fuel injection boost pump & filter.

I do have the wires contained in the 3/4" flex conduit Van's sells and can secure it so there is no movement - would that be sufficient? My guess is that it would - there would be no way for a short to arc to one of the fuel lines, for example, and the wire cannot chafe on the fuel lines. I'm not an expert, however, so I'm hoping to solicit some input from those who are :)

Thanks!

To clarify the question:

Does the 1/2" rule for separating wires from fluid carrying lines still apply if the wires are contained within a non-metallic conduit?

"Advisory"

Brad, don't agonize too much. 43.13 is an ADVISORY Circular, not a mandate. Manufacturers deviate from it often. I think you're OK. Are your wires above or below the fuel line? Above is better (fuel dripping).

Brad, don't agonize too much. 43.13 is an ADVISORY Circular, not a mandate. Manufacturers deviate from it often. I think you're OK. Are your wires above or below the fuel line? Above is better (fuel dripping).

Thanks for the response!

The wires are at about the same level - this is in the tunnel along the floor between the main spar and the firewall. There is ~4" of horizontal distance between them.

Thanks!
-Brad

Back