What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical System

Bart

Well Known Member
has anyone installed the Vertical Power VP-200 -system? I can't say I really understand the benefits of this system and would like to hear from anyone that may have installed or used this system in the past. I'd like to understand better what happens when you have something like a GRT EFIS and how these engine monitoring feeds must work with the VP-200. The website seems to indicate that they cannot be used together but one or the other, is this right?

Last edited:
Bart,
I'm sure Marc Ausman will chime in, but I have a VP-200 although it is not installed yet. The website pretty much explains it all. Basically, by marring a solid state electrical distribution system with computer control, you get a system that allows for the automatic control of everything powered by the system. The payoff is reduced pilot workload and simplified wiring with very detailed monitoring of the entire electrical sytem. Engine monitoring is simply a side benefit. If you don't give a hoot about automation, then it really doesn't do anything more than what a standard buss/fuse/circuit breaker system does.

As for engine montioring, the VP simply displays whatever engine data you send to it. In GRTs case, the engine data is coming from the EIS not the EFIS. So you can display the data on both, but the data is split off of the EIS and is not daisy chained from EIS to EFIS to VDP. I haven't been keeping close tabs with VP, but the new GRT HX with it's different IO configuration may have changed how the engine monitoring can be wired.

Thanks Todd

I like the idea of computer controlling/monitoring the electrical system. The GRT EFIS and new avionics I'm installing in my -10 project is certainly worth ensuring there is better electrical protection (than the old EMP hardened ones I've had before) but the price of the VP-200 is high and my research is not deep enough to know if there are cheaper/better ways to perform this function. Did you run across other systems like this before you committed to the VP-200?

No, there's nothing out there that is really comparable. The only thing I have to offer is to recommend doing up a load planning worksheet (if you haven't already) and see if you can live with a -100 (assuming you can live with out the VDP). That'll save you some $$, but if you're like me, you'll end up wanting the 200.

I really suggest giving Marc a call and see what he thinks. At the very least post your GRT engine monitoring question on their forum and see if the HX can now be wired directly to the VDP.

Hi Bart,

Yes, even with the new GRT HX we get the engine data from the EIS. In the case of AFS or Dynon, we get it right from the EFIS because the engine monitoring functions are built in to the EFIS itself. In either case, it's a single wire that carries the data.

The "big picture" premise behind the VP-200 (and the electronic circuit breakers) is that aircraft are now all-electric, and traditional wiring is less reliable and very complex to add new features. Many devices that used to be mechanical or manual are now electric. So the VP-200 gives you a lot more detailed information and control about your electrical system (since it is now core to the aircraft's systems). At the same time wiring is simplified, and you have more features. Our web site really has the details so I won't go into them here.

As far as cost, go to the top of the purchase page here, and look through the pricing analysis document. It lists all the stuff you don't thave to buy, troubleshoot, integrate, etc. The net cost in time and dollars in reasonable.

Give us a call next week when we're back in the office and we can answer your questions in detail. Happy new year!

Back