What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Trim Wiring

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I've been working on my HS and I have just put together the front spar. On DWG 7 there is a note to drill a 5/8" hole for the trim cable in the front spar and a 7/16" hole for the trim cable in the rear spar, but I have electric trim. The instructions or the drawing doesn't mention what to do if you are using electric trim. I'm assumming that some wires have to be routed through similar positions. :confused: If anyone could enlighten me that would be helpful. Any pictures on how you routed the wires would be really helpful.

Thanks

One way

Here's what I decided to do. It's an RV-8, but should be the same back there.

p1010904j.jpg

Craig
That is also a great picture to remind us who are working on the HS that do not flush rivet the mounting holes on the skin. I see you dimpled them but left the rivets out.
Are those rivets left out on the bottom also? I guess I'll look at your picture again.

smilin' jack

holes

Those are the places that eventually get nutplates for the intersection fairing.

Craig,

Thanks for the picture. I'm still trying to figure out how all of the sub-assemblies mount together. Your solution looks pretty clean. Doesn't seem like there would be any reason to have to go through the HS front spar.

Do you have a strobe on your rudder? I would have thought I would see those wires in your picture. Like I said I still don't have the big picture on how the pieces go together.

I do have a strobe. It's wires are much lower - near the bottom of the fuselage.

Notice the molex connector in the center of the picture. When I take the elevators off for painting, that gets disconnected.

There is no compelling reason to go through the HS spar. In fact, I thought it would make it harder to remove the elevator.

Back