What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric system planning

jimgreen

Well Known Member
Just planning my layout and position of various components.
I have a tip up, intended use night VFR.
IO360. 1 mag 1 lightspeed
Dynon D100, EMS D120, Avmap, single comm. and transponder. since the Dynons are switchable I'll mount them one each side to allow the machine to be easily flyable from either side.
Elec flaps and elevator trim.
Planning to use fuses for nearly everything.
Planning to use the Z11 as a basis.

The biggest problem for most RVs seems to be accessibility to components under the boot cowl.
Since I have a tip up why not mount the fuse blocks(bus bars) behind the right hand Dynon on the 768 outboard sub panel? The ground access would be great.
I don't see anyone else doing that so there must be a downside.
Comments please?

I've seen...

The biggest problem for most RVs seems to be accessibility to components under the boot cowl.
Since I have a tip up why not mount the fuse blocks(bus bars) behind the right hand Dynon on the 768 outboard sub panel? The ground access would be great.
I don't see anyone else doing that so there must be a downside.
Comments please?

...at least two tip-ups with the fuses mounted as you say...

Should be no problem. You might want an insulated cover (something flexible, cloth or rubber) over the top if any 12 volt uninsulated copper is visible.

That Irishman Murphy says stuff will drop exactly where the 12 volts is exposed...:(

I'm mounting my fuse blocks on a hinged panel that will allow it swing down when unlocked.

I am also using a modified XL modular panel from Affordable Panels that will allow me to easily remove sections from the panel when required.

hinged fuse blocks

My concern with hinging a fuse block was the amount of slack wire that might be needed to allow full movement. Is this a problem? I'm getting a bit old to be crawling under the sub panel.

Back