What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric power for RV-6

don reid

Hi everyone, I have another question about the RV6 power supply. I am at the point where I have to get the things done that go under the windshield. I am building a Slider and I want to get the electrical done before I close the metal behind the engine. I don't know how to go about the building of the Bus Bar, circuit brks, and switches for avionics,ldg lites, boost pump. etc. Where do you find these things for sale. I have looked in Aircraft Spurce and of course Vans but they don.t have much of a choice if you want to just put in the basic eletrical conponents, as I have described above. Also any help or pictures anyone can show me on how they did their power distribution. Thank you Don Reid

Aeroelectric Connection book a must

>Diagrams starting Z11 and on will be of interest
>Many builder websites show their electrical systems
>Van's wiring kit will get you the basics
>Some folks like Stein can provide turnkey solutions

Stein and B&C Electric sell the basics and are reputable

Vans basic electrical system diagram

In My RV-6A preview plans book (I'm not sure of the name) there is a basic electrical diagram that I used as a starting point. That establishes the interface of the battery, alternator, master relay, starter solenoid, etc. If you can study that and get the essential needs of the system prior to electrical distribution to the rest of the airplane's electrical needs you have the conceptual hard part taken care of the rest just becomes a task of supplying power as required by the lights, avionics, with circuit breakers or fuses to protect the wiring. I have a 60 amp CB in the panel at the head of the distribution then appropriate level CBs for the power requirements of the individual elements down stream. I have and avionics bus enabled by an avionics master switch and other applications that parallel (do not go through) that switch. Every wire must be calculated to get the right size (Gauge) based on power and distance (signal wires can just be the size specified in the hardware manuals - 22 gauge, etc.). If you just set down with a drawing board or a piece of paper on your kitchen table, copy Van's basic diagram for the power source and draw a bus from which the power is drawn to boxes with the pins as defined in the equipment manuals or to elements such as lights through appropriate controls such as switches, dimmers, circuit breakers it will all come together nicely along with design comprehension. Documents available from the FAA tell how to determine wire size needed for each application and documents such as Aircraft Spruce catalog tell what equipment is readily available for implementing your design with aircraft quality hardware and wire. This drawing is critical for the maintenance of your electrical system as you will not only have to make repairs but you will want to modify the system after the airplane has reached flying status. Constraints of the airframe will force a lot of implementation decisions as you wire it up. Mine started out bare bones basic IFR capable. I added an autopilot system after a year of flying, 4 cyl EGT, 4 cyl CHT, a second nav radio, a power outlet for a hand held GPS, etc. after that.

Good luck, it is a lot of careful work but it is worth the effort.

Bob Axsom

The basics, Don.

In essence, space your switches evenly, with a little (1/8") gap between them.

A buss bar can be made of a strip of brass or copper, which we used, and is fed by your 12 volt supply. The buss bar is drilled to match the terminal spacing of your switches, and screwed to one terminal of each switch. The radios are connected to another buss bar that derives its power from the "Avionics" switch. That means it is not powered while you're cranking the engine. After it starts, then you can flip the avionics switch to power up your radios and transponder, etc.

Google Bob Nuckols (sp) for detailed wiring info.

Best,

Knuckolls

What Vern and Pierre said about Bob Knuckolls. Get his book for sure and read same cover to cover before you start wiring. I think I cut my wiring time by half using his advice. http://www.aeroelectric.com/ He also has a forum over on Matronics.

Hope this helps

Here is my $.02 on it.

While the advice given above is right on, from reading your initial post, I suspect you need a bit more "hand holding" than you will get from a publication. And it is a very good publication, just assumes a level of skill/knowledge you may not have.

I think the best thing you could do is hook up with builders in your area, or an EAA chapter, and get some eyeball time on a project, and maybe some hands on assistance also.

Also, do not be shy about asking specific questions here at VAF. Post photos as needed, you will get more input, and it makes things easier to figure out for those helping.

I agree with Mike S. - the recommended books should definitely be in your library, but if you're looking to truly learn aircraft wiring from scratch, you need some hand's-on guidance. The EAA sponsors some wiring classes to get the basic techniques down, if you don't have a mentor to show you the ropes. And don't forget the Bingelis series of books - they were written at a time when homebuilts were simple, and are well illustrated. They contain basic building blocks on which you can build a good solid foundation. These airplane systems are not complicated, but there are specific ways to do things, and there is no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Paul

One other thing to look at is Vertical Power's units.

http://www.verticalpower.com/

If you are planning on a glass cockpit, these are pretty slick. Even if you are not going that direction, there is a lot of good info on their website, look for "Documents".

There are enough of these out flying now, that good feedback should be easy for you to get, if you want to know more about them.

Say, Don.

Get a hold of HelioJoe on here. He's near you at New Smyrna Beach and has built several RV's and is an A@P/IA as well. He has a business on the airport.

Best,

Back