What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric gas transfer pump

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
I would like to know what is the best....or the only approved.....12V or 120V gas transfer pump. Most of those advertised are for diesel and kerosene only. I need to pump gas from gerry cans up to the filler on my RV12.

Thanks,
EBB

Check out this. http://flofast.com 15 gallon with crank.
I have it in my hangar. I 5-gal Jerry can to it and fill it with a Mr. Funnel. Then crank to the plane. Get the translucent one, not the red one. The crank also works in reverse to drain your tank.

Flowfast User Report

I would like to second the motion of Bill H. I have used this hand-crank rig on my 12 for three years. Takes 45 seconds to leisurely transfer 5 gallons from hangar floor to plane's filler neck. I fill the Flowfast tank from 5 gallon cans via Mr. Funnel. The pickup tube in the tank is about two inches off the bottom, giving extra contamination protection. It may take a minute longer but it beats the heck out of pouring fuel from a 5 gallon can into Mr. Funnel inserted in plane's filler neck while balancing on a step-stool and trying not to splash fuel on the plexiglass. Pour the leftover gas from Flowfast into spare can for another trip through Mr. Funnel on a subsequent fueling operation.

Jim
RV-12 N233TX
flying 240 hours

Check out this. http://flofast.com 15 gallon with crank.
I have it in my hangar. I 5-gal Jerry can to it and fill it with a Mr. Funnel. Then crank to the plane. Get the translucent one, not the red one. The crank also works in reverse to drain your tank.

Can the pump draw fuel from a 5 gal Jerry can? If so why are you going to the trouble of first transferring the 5 gal cans to the 15 gal container? My airport prohibits storing fuel in plastic containers (courtesy the Fire Marshall). I am still mulling the purchase of this pump but if it requires to operate from the 15 gal container this is a no go (as is taking the 15 gal container to the service station for filling!)

Update: I think I got it, it's for filtering before transferring because it would not be convenient to transfer with the filtering funnel on the tank's fuel neck.

Last edited:
Gas transfer pump

Can the pump draw fuel from a 5 gal Jerry can? If so why are you going to the trouble of first transferring the 5 gal cans to the 15 gal container? My airport prohibits storing fuel in plastic containers (courtesy the Fire Marshall). I am still mulling the purchase of this pump but if it requires to operate from the 15 gal container this is a no go (as is taking the 15 gal container to the service station for filling!)

Update: I think I got it, it's for filtering before transferring because it would not be convenient to transfer with the filtering funnel on the tank's fuel neck.

I would like to find a transfer pump like the one from FloFast that will pump from a Gerry can and does not require the 7.5 or 15 gallon Flofast. If anybody comes up with that I will be a buyer.

BTW: screw the fire marshall....he's gonna retire on a disability at age 45 and go play golf in Mexico like all the other similarly situated ex fire marshals down there :)

Here's more why. The 15 gallon tank with fuel weighs over 90 pounds. So I don't like transporting that in my pickup to the gas station and lifting it in and out of the bed. That's what the 5 gal Jerry cans are for. The 15 gallon stays in the hangar strapped to a furniture dolly.

And lifting a 30 pound Jerry can of fuel at shoulder level and pouring it into the RV12 is an accident looking for a spot marked "X."

thought i would throw out how i fill my high wing and cowl tanks.
i use a 12 volt elec. pump and i have the switch on a 20 foot cord. my filler nozzle hooks into the tank filler and can't slip out. my whole system is completely grounded.i cant pump anywhere near 15 gph but i wouldn't want to. at a couple gph i can manupulate the switch with one hand, the other holds a flashlight and i look into the tank. instant off when i want it, i have never overfilled using this set up and no gas splattering from a quick fill rate.

I built a fuel transfer tank with electric fuel pump for the bed of my truck. It fits underneath the bed cover and holds 23 gallons of ethanol-free 90 octane auto fuel. I studied this for quite some time and wanted to avoid moving the fuel three times: Once from the gas station to my truck, twice from my truck to some jerry cans, and third, from the jerry cans to the airplane.

I can back up my truck between the wing and stabilator and pump it directly into the airplane. Works like a champ, simple, easy, and clean.

You don't need a custom tank. My local Rural King store has tanks, pumps, fittings, and filters. Pretty much everything I needed I could find there. I probably have less than $400 in the entire set up.

Back