What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Fuel Pump

pilotyoung

Well Known Member
My electric fuel pump died. I am getting ready to order a new one and I noticed the ES Noise Filter Pump. Looking at the pictures it looks like it is just a 22,000 uf capacitor with leads on it and it is $115. Do any of you electrical engineers know if there is more to it or is it simply a capacitor?

My airplane does not have one installed and I have not had any noise in my radio. So I am debating whether I should install one.

The original pump was an ES 40105. The latest replacement is an ES 40135. It has a little higher pressure. Make sure you buy the latest.

As for the ES-00102 cap, $113.75 sounds a little steep, but it is all made up ready for install. The guy who assembled it wants to get paid, too. The most expensive 22,000 uF 25 Vdc cap I found on Digikey was $26.89.

For a cap the major parameters are capacitance and breakdown voltage. For specific applications material type and construction can come into play but for this application I think a garden variety 22,000 uF electrolytic of an appropriate voltage rating would suffice. It is a 12 Vdc system. I don't know the voltage rating of the Van's cap but IMHO people usually cut it too close. For example, I don't think I would install a 16 Vdc cap. I would be more inclined to derate some and go with at least a 25 Vdc rating but that's just me.

If you aren't seeing noise problems then you probably don't need it. On the other hand an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Noise can manifest itself in multiple non-obvious ways. Maybe you don't hear anything but maybe it is degrading a VOR signal. Or maybe it is only a problem on certain frequencies. Or maybe it is degrading the performance of your ADS-B receiver. Etc, etc, etc. These pumps are electrically noisy. I'd go ahead and plan on putting one in.

Ours died, we did a ohm check on capacitor and showed a short. Did a temp bypass to take capacitor out of circuit and pump worked fine. Replaced capacitor and we are back in business. Rule out the capacitor before you spring for a new pump.

Ours died, we did a ohm check on capacitor and showed a short. Did a temp bypass to take capacitor out of circuit and pump worked fine. Replaced capacitor and we are back in business. Rule out the capacitor before you spring for a new pump.
Mine does not have the capacitor on it.

The original pump was an ES 40105. The latest replacement is an ES 40135. It has a little higher pressure. Make sure you buy the latest.

As for the ES-00102 cap, $113.75 sounds a little steep, but it is all made up ready for install. The guy who assembled it wants to get paid, too. The most expensive 22,000 uF 25 Vdc cap I found on Digikey was $26.89.

For a cap the major parameters are capacitance and breakdown voltage. For specific applications material type and construction can come into play but for this application I think a garden variety 22,000 uF electrolytic of an appropriate voltage rating would suffice. It is a 12 Vdc system. I don't know the voltage rating of the Van's cap but IMHO people usually cut it too close. For example, I don't think I would install a 16 Vdc cap. I would be more inclined to derate some and go with at least a 25 Vdc rating but that's just me.

If you aren't seeing noise problems then you probably don't need it. On the other hand an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Noise can manifest itself in multiple non-obvious ways. Maybe you don't hear anything but maybe it is degrading a VOR signal. Or maybe it is only a problem on certain frequencies. Or maybe it is degrading the performance of your ADS-B receiver. Etc, etc, etc. These pumps are electrically noisy. I'd go ahead and plan on putting one in.
I just noticed that there are several noise filters on Van's site. I was looking at the ES Noise Filter Pump. It shows a 22,000 uf, 25 volt capacitor and then it has VR(M) on it. Does anyone know that VR(m) means on a capacitor?

An internet search (if one can believe what is found) suggests that VR(M) is a manufacturer's part number series that indicates a temperature rating.

Back