What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Flap Activation Switch

Sunriver Ken

Well Known Member
I have a simple flap switch in my RV-9A. Down extends the flaps, up retracts the flaps and middle position does nothing. This simple toggle switch must be held up or down to make the flaps move.

Since I almost always use full flaps I was wondering if there is a switch available that senses when the load on the motor changes when the flaps are full up or full down.

This may not be a good idea as sometime I may want less than full flaps.

Holding the switch is a relatively minor problem that certainly does not warrant a bunch of rewiring.

What do you guys think

Don't think so.

There are flap positioning systems available to do what you want. Van's sells one, so does Aircraft Spruce. It involves more than a switch. You need a control unit for the switching functions and a position sensor. In some cases folks have installed limit switches to automatically shut off the flap motor. You do not need one now as you have momentary toggle switch (On)-OFF-(On) [note that the use of () indicates momentary].

If you went to a On-OFF-On switch you would need limit switches or the motor would run continuously.

Search on "flap position" and read the various threads, then look for the same on Aircraft Spruce and Vans site, as well as www.aircraftextras.com.

There was a fellow making a controller that was a simple timer. You may see that in your search

Good luck

Don

I stayed with the KISS principle and used the switch you described and can't imagine why I would want to add complexity to something that works so well. I positioned my switch between the throttle and mixture so it is easy to reach with the index finger with the hand still on the throttle.I also put markings under the clear plastic protection on the left flap at 15, 30 and 45 degrees. It is easy to reach and hold down the switch for a couple seconds, swival the head to look at the flap and release the switch at 15 degrees. Works great.

I would not purchase or install the flap pos sys on my 10 again

after flying the 9 and 10. Save running one wire, a circuit board and micro switch assy. If it breaks I'll rip out approx 2 lbs of weight, chg my sw and have what you have. At night it might be nice as i am not installing an indicating sys.

Back