What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric elevator trim travel

KCC

I'm New Here
First time to post a message so hope I am doing it right.

I installed the Ray Allen electric elevator trim system and cannot get the trim travel correct. The manual states the desired down travel of the tab (nose up) is 35 degrees and up travel is 25 degrees. If I adjust for 35 degrees down I end up with about 10 degrees up. Any ideas are much appreciated.

-Ken

I would just split the difference with equal amounts in both directions. In the real world I probably use less than 10? max (about 1/2" at the TE).

make sure that you are getting the full stroke...

Measuring the angle of travel for the trim tab can be tricky; start by making sure that you are really getting the full stroke of the servo and that it is not binding on the skin opening.

I started flying with mine set with even travel up and down but quickly found that I would run out of trim up on final... I only use a touch of nose down trim here and there.

I used an app on my iPhone to help with measurements and adjusted for the full 35 down (getting 25 up as well)... with my most forward CG i could still use just a tad more trim... it is near perfect though and I am not going to change it.

On every flight I use something like less than 5 up all the way to 35 down.

thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that I will need more nose up trim than nose down also.

25/35?

Hi, I'm working on that now I just talked to Joe Blank from Vans and he told me that the 25/35 was trailing edge of the trim tab not nose up/down. So its 25 degrees trailing edge up and 35 trailing edge down. I am having a problem with the push rod dragging at the point where it exits the elevator. Are you having any problems like that?

Back