What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elec Flap Frame Interference

lr172

Well Known Member
My flap frame was built by the previous owner of my kit. After having installed the canopy latch assembly, I now have interference between the two. I am struggling to figure the best way to eliminate it.

If I move the main frame (holding motor) rearward to get clearance, it no longer rests on the angle of the cross member and don't think I'll get the support I need.

I could reverse the angle bracket used to attach the frame to cross member, but don't think I can bend alum 130* without breaking it.

I can put a 3/8" spacer on the canopy latch rod attachment and re-drill my holes, but it changes the angle of the claws used to latch.

Curious how others overcame this issue.

Larry

It's a long time known problem for the -6 with a tip-up canopy.

You can lower the upper bracket attach and use the aft side to secure the forward flap brace. It decreases the angle of the forward brace a bit and you probably will need new 0.016 side panels.

You can move the cross canopy latching rod forward a bit with shims - but don't hit the back of the seats.

Adjust both items a bit, and it will fit...:)

I went in front of canopy weldment with larger bracket..

Moving the top of the flap motor bracket forward slightly solved everything with a larger attach bracket made from .040 surplus sheet. I trimmed the top to make room for the canopy weldment. Using cardboard templates, I was able to still use the stock side covers because they had extra material you would normally trim away. If your side covers are already made you will need to make new ones. This is just one of many solutions.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=WenEng&project=665&category=7566&log=143994&row=8

Back