What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EIS 4000 Current Sensor

apatti

Well Known Member
I would appreciate some help here. I recently returned the current sensor GRT sent me with my EIS because it was the smaller one and I need the larger one. GRT was nice enough to ship me the replacement before they received my return. For some reason I thought I should include the instruction sheet with the hookup instructions with the one I returned. And, you guessed it, GRT didn't include the instruction sheet with the replacement current sensor. So, I am not sure how to hook this thing up. I checked the GRT website and didn't see this sheet in the "documents" section.

So, could someone tell me how to hook this thing up? I would guess the black wire goes to a convenient ground somewhere. What about the blue and the green wires? Also, I saw where some folks loop wires through the doughnut a couple of times (at least that is what it looked like). I am just passing the the two wires (master buss feed line and main battery buss feed line) through once. How are you securing the doughnut so it doesn't slide around?

I know there is a debate on whether to measure the alternator line or battery line. Since I have an ALT OUT lamp to tell me if the alternator dies, I decided I wanted to know the current drain on the battery in case of an alternator out condition. This would help me shed loads as appropriate for the situation.

Thanks,

RE: EIS 4000 Amp Sensor

Black wire to ground. Blue Wire to the 4.8VDC output of EIS (pin 25). Don't connect the blue wire to aircraft power as it will destroy the sensor. Green wire is the AMP sensor signal and connects to one of the AUX inputs on the EIS. I think Aux 4 is typically used for the current sensor. You can get a copy of the Grand Rapids Hall Effect Amp Sensor installation notes here.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GRT_EFIS/files/

Back