What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EI Spark Plug Life

db1yg

Well Known Member
Curious about a maintenance issue.

I have a LightSpeed PIII ignition on the right side of my Eci0360 and a mag on the left. I am using the recommended ND W24EMR-c plugs with the LS ignition. They only seem to last around 125-135 hrs in my application. The second set was pulled at 125 hrs due to what I consider excess erosion of the electrode and center conductor. All four show good color when pulled out (dark tan to light brown) and each have identical erosion patterns-angled erosion of the center conductor toward the electrode base and the same angled erosion of the electrode toward the center conductor. I have been gapping them to 032 for my stock compression 0360. I should note that the engine was running fine when I pulled them--I simply did not like the amount of erosion.

I have a couple of questions and would like to hear from others with a similar set up:

1. Is this normal life for these plugs--I hear of folks getting 300+hrs but I wonder if that is common??

2. Has anyone used the triple electrode W27EBR from ND which Klaus lists as longer life and if so what kind of life did you get from those units??

I do tend to run LOP when in cruise (66-68 percent power) so I suspect this might contribute to the short life??

If my experience is normal I will simply start changing them every 100 hrs--at $10 for the set it is not a big expense.

I have talked with LS but wanted RV drivers experiences.

Cheers,

db

I have dual LS's and use the W27EMR-C because of the Hi Comp. Pistons. I take the plugs out when I do an oil change at 50 hrs throw them away and put in a new set. Not even worth cleaning them at $2.75 apiece. Good time to do a compression check also.

Bill

Back