What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT puzzler from my other ride

Girraf

Well Known Member
Friend
Carbureted O-320 fixed pitch prop, Piper Cherokee.

Engine runs rough and vibrates the airframe substantially during power reduction from climb to cruise. Except for about 90% throttle, all other power settings are smooth. On a recent test flight. I slowly reduced power from full and then left the throttle at about 90% where the vibration were most severe. Engine data show some erratic EGTs on all 4 cylinders. I leave the throttle unchanged and start leaning the mixture, and everything smooths out again. With the mixture leaned, I run the throttle back to full and down to cruise again and never a vibration observed. The effect seems tied to a throttle position and not a specific RPM. What's happening??

The vibration is reproducible on the ground with full mixture. I haven't yet tried to go full power and lean on the ground because I'm a sea level flyer.

Here's some data to look at highlighted in the circle. There's a few Fuel flow blips from me playing around but the main story is the back half of the squiggly EGT and how they dramatically smooth out with a deliberate leaning input. Throttle position was not changed from the 90% location during this time.

Attachments

• Engine roughness.jpg
    Engine roughness.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 6
Honestly, since new, when was carburetor overhauled? I believe 10 years for typical MS carb is stated.. My take on erratic EGT is erratic combustion. I recommend you pull carb and send to Russ at D&G Supply, FAA repair station all things fuel delivery experts. https://dgsupply.com/

Good luck

Something has changed that is having an influence on fuel air mixture, or balanced distribution to all cylinders when slightly less than wide open throttle.

Could it be a very old carburetor that still has the two piece Venturi that an airworthiness directive was issued on?
They were supposed to be removed and replaced with a one piece because the center portion could dislodge and become misaligned. This is a very old airworthiness directive, though. I think it was issued about 30 years ago or a little more.

Back