What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT probe hose clamp cracked

bruceh

Well Known Member
Friend
I found a crack on the hose clamp that secures the EGT probe to the exhaust pipe.

IMG_6457-M.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any way to just replace the hose clamp without destroying the EGT probe.

IMG_6458-M.jpg

Would putting safety wire around the hose clamp and exhaust pipe be an acceptable way to fix?

I do have a spare probe I can install, but it would be nice to get more life out of this current probe.

Also, is there any recommendation for how tight to make the hose clamp on the exhaust pipes? I had these pretty tight, but given this cracking, I loosened up the rest of them just a bit, and put safety wire over the hose clamp nut to keep them in place from loosening.

I will throw a couple ideas at you...

you could cut this clamp of maybe .75 inches on either side of the probe, leaving an piece of it on the probe. then pick up 2 clamps and install them overlapping on either side to hold the probe in place. this might be a bit ghetto of a fix.

or

use the old clamp to create a U shaped clip. Drill a larger hole in a new clamp that the probe can pass through. insert the probe in the hole then install the clip to retain the probe in the clamp. once tightened up on the pipe it should be fine.

Back