What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT Probe Differences

jchang10

Well Known Member
One of my Skyview EGT probes started to go flakey on me at 270 hours. Thus, I went ahead and ordered 2 new probes from Dynon.

Both of these new probes seem to read at least 100F higher than my older probes. Even worse, the spread gets wider at higher temps. Thus, i can't get the new probes to peak where they used to. They will eventually peak but only 2 GPH higher than with an older probe, and at temps off my EGT scale. Initially, i thought i had a lean cylinder issue.

However, after a lot of tests, i isolated all possible issues, and it is definitely the probe. I put the new probe into a different cylinder, and the issues follow the probe. Thus, it is not a cylinder issue.

To isolate the EMS unit and wiring, i swapped the leads on the probe and once again the problem stayed with the new probe.

I ordered a new EI probe at 3.5x the cost. i can't wait to see what happens. Has anyone encountered anything like this?

Thanks,
Jae

Back