What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFIS / Pilot Alignment ?

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I'm doing some armchair planning here about my future panel, looking at sorts of options for EFIS/PFD and etc. Just how much can I squeeze on my future panel. Right now I'm leaning to the Dynon Skyview or one of the Advanced Flight Systems units. I really like the way the whole package is put together on the AFS units, but its a little more expensive so... I'm also looking at the Affordable Panels modular panel arrangement. With those panels you can really see the impact of the supports that are placed behind the panel. I know that sometimes those supports are modified to accept display or other avionics.

OK I'm finally getting around to my question(sort of). I would like my displays to be placed such that they are centered with the centerline of the pilot(me). I have seen many panels that are not built this way, but it seems to me that this alignment would be preferred. OK the question. Does anyone know the center to center distance of the centerline of the pilot and co-pilot positions? Maybe it could be the stick to stick distance. Or a reference on where to look.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments on this entire idea.

screen display options

consider that you can arrange the screen layout to push the pfd section to the right or left with the 80/20 view... i mostly fly with a 20/80 or 20/40/40 view setting leaving the engine data on the far left which places the pfd or map directly inline with my view with the 80 screen.

also note that the rudder pedals are not directly in-line with the stick; they are offset outboard a bit... the center of the 40/40 screens is closely aligned with the stick and you can see the offset of the rudder pedals to the left of the center line.

img0163ak.jpg

Last edited:
I have seldom flown an airplane where the PFD or Gyros were on center with the pilot. Like Stephan, I flip my PFD around with GPS, EMS and PFD in a couple of different arrangements. Once you get used to the general EFIS feel, I don't think it'll matter to you if anything is off center a bit. If you have a tip-up canopy, you won't be looking inside too much anyway!

That being said, my SkyView is "on-center" with me when in the 100% PFD.

Not a big deal!!

I know of builder a few years ago that spend days modifying the support rib structure to mount a Dynon 10 so that it could be "centered." When completed, and after a few hours, he admitted that he wasted a bunch of time to move the unit a couple of inches.

This is not a 747 panel. Anything close to center (within a couple of inches) will be fine and not cause any issues when you start flying.

Pilot centerline references

Ray,

There are several possible references in the airframe for the pilot center line, and they are not quite consistent with one another.

The sticks and seat backs are centered at approximately 9.75" from the aircraft center line, i.e. 19.5" center-to-center pilot-to-copilot positions.

As Stephen noted, the rudder pedals are positioned a little bit further outboard. They are centered at approximately 11.25" from the aircraft center line, i.e. 22.5" center-to-center pilot-to-copilot positions.

For the purpose of panel design, I intend to use 9.75" from center as the pilot center line, as this should best align with the pilot's upper body and therefore field of view.

-Roee

Roee,

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for. Sorry guys sometimes us engineers just have to sweat the details even if in the end it doesn't matter. Well, except to us.

Back