What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII boost pump

To all wise and knowlegable RV builders, Mounting boost pump. Should I be using lock tight on all the bolts or are the lock washers good enough ? Bearcatr2800

As a general rule, I would use locknuts (AN365 or MS21042) instead of lock washers or locktite. I'd save locktite for blind holes or non-critical places where you have a regular hex nut for some reason.

A star washer between flat washer and bolt head are just fine. Look around the engine; that's about all there is.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Lock washers are good when you can't use a locknut. IE, you shouldn't use nyloc nuts firewall forward. But for a boost pump on the aft side of the firewall, I'd think nylocs would be fine.

A star washer between flat washer and bolt head are just fine. Look around the engine; that's about all there is.

Lock washers are good when you can't use a locknut.

True, there are places with blind holes; a lockwasher can work there. But you shouldn't generally be using them when you can put a nut on the back. The airplanes I deal with professionally prohibit them unless a special exemption is received.

IE, you shouldn't use nyloc nuts firewall forward. But for a boost pump on the aft side of the firewall, I'd think nylocs would be fine.

Not all locknuts have nylon, and there are all-metal locknuts available that are suitable for use in the engine compartment.

However, the boost pump isn't in the engine compartment, nor should it be mounting to blind (tapped/threaded) holes. Either a locknut or a nutplate (which also has locking features) would be more appropriate.

Back