What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EDM-350 Advise/Help?

paulsmeds

Installed an EDM-350 with almost all sensors on a RV-6A O-360. Everything went great but I’m stuck on 3 items. Over the last 3 days, I’ve contacted support twice via telephone and after a long hold time got two different overworked, sort of grumpy techs who both said, “You need to e-mail us because we don’t know anything about the EDM-350”. I’ve e-mailed details twice and haven’t heard back in 3 days so I’m stuck. My three issues:

1. AMPs not showing up. Shunt installed in-between battery + and bus correctly (I know there are different options and I chose to monitor what's going in/out of the battery to the bus). Connected white & gray on P5 correctly. Tried swapping white/gray. Checked pins 14 and 15 on P5 connector and both have 12+ from the shunt connections so it should be seeing it. No screen has anything related to AMPs – it is like it doesn’t exist - manually stepping through all sensors there is Volts but no amps. One tech said it needed to be initialized but couldn’t tell me how to do that and no reference in the manual. Stuck.

2. Scale on the display for Fuel Pressure is 0 to 30 psi. This is carbureted so normal pressure range is 2 to 6 or so PSI. The actual meter is a 0 to 30. Under pressure it barely shows above the red on the bar meter’s scale of 0 to 30. I’ve seen multiple pictures of these with scales from 0 to 10 or 0 to 15 which would be perfect. I changed the alarm range hoping it would change the scale as well but no change on the display. Stuck.

3. According to the manual I should be able to select which 6 gauges I see on the far right. However, the manual listed procedure doesn’t match the menus and buttons on the EDM-350. It is like there is a newer firmware in my 350 that the manual doesn’t match. Can’t find a newer revision than 7-10-2021 Rev A. Where the manual says to go to “Customize Display” and then hold STEP+LF, the buttons at that point aren’t labelled STEP or LF and hitting what is the STEP+LF on other screens just exits. Hitting the other button takes you to the next menu item. Nowhere can I get to where I can specify which gauges I want ike it says I can do in the manual. Stuck.

Hoping there is someone with an EDM-350 who has received better support and possibly a new manual or the secret button sequences they would like to share? Any help appreciated! If I knew about the poor support, I think I would have gone another direction. It does look good, fits just right, easy to read and use, but has these three lingering issues are making me crazy!

1724436306936.png

Thank you. However we have this and the latest install manual and they are both out of date for a newly purchased EDM-350. JPI support finally reached out via e-mail and after some back and forth, they are sending a programmed unit the way we need it to replace the one we purchased. They acknowledged that the latest manuals do not match the latest firmware and the unit we have isn't behaving on the menus like it should. They have already sent a couple things that are not in the manual. Would be nice if their manual from 2017 was up to date. I'm sure it would save a lot of tech calls like mine!

Paul, I installed an EDM-350 in my RV-6 last year and I feel your pain!

I too found the documentation to be lacking and the techs sounded kinda like I was a nuisance. In addition, I quickly found out I had discovered more about how the device functioned than did tech. The first suggestions I got from tech were just flat out wrong and demonstrated a very shallow knowledge of the device. Having said all that, I eventually got everything sorted out (after discovering the CHT harness was pinned out backwards by the factory!) and I am now very pleased with the monitor.

Unfortunately I don't recall the specific steps I used to customize the display, it was just a matter of trying different things until I figured it out. There is an "Auto" and a "Manual" configuration for the display, try both to see which ends up working for you. I don't have AMPS, am using VOLTS so can't help with the shunt. I was able to set fuel pressure down to a low value and customize all the other parameters once I figured out the AUTO and/or MANUAL trick. The documentation is no help in this regard.

Sorry I can't be of more help, perhaps next time I'm at the plane I can jog my memory a bit. Keep working with it, you'll eventually get there.....and yes, it shouldn't be this challenging.

Update; I see you are getting a good response from JPI, maybe this issue will soon be resolved.

Back