What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge protectors

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
Folks -
I am at the wiring stage and need to come up with something to protect the wires from the 'raw' metal edges of the penetrations that the wires need. I have seen some press-on edge protection that ACS sells, but it is extremely expensive. I have also seen economical plastic edge protectors (press-on style), but don't know where to find it. I figure someone on the list knows where I need to go. Help! Thanks in advance!

Go to Van's Aircraft Accessory Catalog and order snap bushings:

SNAP-IN 1/8ID 3/16OD
BUSHING SB187-2 $0.12

SNAP-IN 3/16ID 3/8 OD
BUSHING SB375-3 $0.12

SNAP-IN 1/4ID 3/8 OD
BUSHING SB375-4 $0.08

SNAP-IN 1/4ID 7/16 OD
BUSHING SB437-4 $0.08

SNAP-IN 3/8 ID 1/2 OD
BUSHING SB500-6 $0.08

SNAP-IN 7/16ID 5/8 OD
BUSHING SB625-7 $0.08

SNAP-IN 1/2ID 5/8 OD
BUSHING SB625-8 $0.12

SNAP-IN 5/8 ID 3/4 OD
BUSHING SB750-10 $0.16

Order a bunch of multiple sizes and drill hole with a step drill bit to size.

Folks -
I am at the wiring stage and need to come up with something to protect the wires from the 'raw' metal edges of the penetrations that the wires need. I have seen some press-on edge protection that ACS sells, but it is extremely expensive. I have also seen economical plastic edge protectors (press-on style), but don't know where to find it. I figure someone on the list knows where I need to go. Help! Thanks in advance!

I get Caterpillar grommet from Skycraft in Orlando - pennies a length when in stock.

The surplus companies who sell at the shows also usually have it.

Cut it long, trim in place - couple of drops of cyano and you are done.

Avery tools sells nylon edging grommet (caterpiller grommet)

http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=21266

I used a lot of this on the RV-8. Works well even along straight edge runs, but you need some sort of glue to hold it on there. I used some "Amazing Goop" clear cement to hold it on.

If you're going to Oshkosh, there'll be at least one vendor in the Fly Market selling bags full of of edge grommet strips cheap... for just a couple bucks a bag.

Last edited:
Edge Material

If you need edge material, you can purchase automotive door edge material at auto parts stores. I've used it in rib cut outs before and it works well.

Jerry

Don, that is the high priced stuff he mentions in his first post.

Methinks he is looking for the cheaper stuff.

I found the plastic caterpillar grommet (MS21266) at a local surplus store. Bought a dozen pieces for a dollar. :)

Used a couple of pieces on the lightening holes on the forward fuselage ribs.
IMG3744-M.jpg

It is very flexible and you simply cut it to fit the hole. At some point I might put a dab of glue on there to hold it in place, but it isn't going anywhere.

Wow!

I figured that there would be a wealth of information out there! Thanks very much to everyone who shared their information. The Caterpillar grommet is exactly what I am looking for - now I know how to find it. Thanks again to everyone who posted!

Back