What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edge distance on WD-409 tail spring mount

n567vb

This may be more for the taildragger guys. I'm looking at the plans and it says the top AN4 bolts (on the foward plate) should be drilled 3/8 inch from the top of WD-409 tail spring mount. There's also a note to be careful about edge distance too. I calculate that the edge distance for a AN4 bolt should be 1/2 inch. Are edge distance for bolts different than for rivets?

Also for QB'ers, any tips on how to secure the tail spring mount while trying to drill it? I can't figure out how to get a clamp down in there. On QB's, the forward bulkhead (F-711) is already completely riveted in already and you have to drill the tail spring mount while intalled in the tail.

Thanks
Vince
RV-7 QB

The way the plan shows the bolt connecting the 409 rubbed on the center rivet below on the bulkhead that made the 409a1/4 high. turned the bolt over and gave good edge distance. The holes in the bulkhead where you drill I got it by having my dad hold it in place and marked it with a fine point sharpie.

Back