What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECI Titan IOX340 stroker

Coling955

I'm interested in ECI's IOX340 stroker engine. Can't find any prices on their website. Has anyone got experience of/is using the engine? And does anyone have a rough price guide of one with fuel injection in basic specification. Sounds like a great engine and I'm not patient enough to wait until the end of the weekend to find out more about it.

You have to contact a kit vendor for the price. Check with Mattituck, Eagle Engines, A.E.R.O., or some of the others.

Here are the prices I received in September of 2009 when I was shopping for my kit:
(Note, the HP and weights came from the ECi site at that time. I will not divulge which vendor gave me those prices, so don't ask. Besides, they are sure to have changed by now.)

Engine___Price____HP___Weight
O-320__$14,200__164___270 lbs
O-340__$14,800__177___277 lbs
O-360__$14,700__185___282 lbs

Those numbers do not include a carb or fuel injection, fuel pump, ignition, starter, or alternator.

When you order yours, make you specify a hollow crank and then tell them if you want it set up for a CS or FP prop. I missed that last bit of info and had to punch the inner seal and set the outer plug.

I also ordered the cylinders with the tapered cooling fins on my O-360, which saves about 1.5 lbs each. Thus, my O-360 should have weighed 279 pounds.

Last edited:
Chocolate on the way!

I also ordered the cylinders with the tapered cooling fins on my O-360, which saves about 1.5 lbs each. Thus, my O-360 should have weighed 179 pounds.

179! Outstanding! Now I can skip my diet! [but I bet you meant 279, unfortunately.]

--Stephen

That's sounds well worth taking you up on. I'll just do some more research on the price of the engine and will get back to you.

Titan Engines

I have a Gift Certificate for 25% off of a Titan EXP IOX-340 stroker engine that I won at LOE in Oct 2009. Make me an offer for the Certificate? I have no plans on buying a new engine. NOTE: The certificate expires 10/1/2011.

The certificate is it good up until Oct - or expired in Jan of 2011 - ie) it would be already expired. Just wondering. I have purchased a RV4 and am lookng at some alternatives for a new motor - it's got a 0320 e2b - on a dyna focal mount - that's high time 2500 or so hours - but still has good compressions. I stubbled across this site re: titan engines and thought that it may definetly be a good alternative for me rather than either rebuilding my motor and or replacing it with a used or rebuilt lycoming e2d. I would like more power as well - either the 0320 titan with the higher compressions pistons or the 340 - with 177HP that would be sweet. I was qutoed just now - 16900 complete - or 17700 complete I believe. I'm aksing if that does or does not include the ignition and or mags and or carb etc... what all that includes. The 25% off cupon if you still have it would be worth quite a bit off this eh? I would want to then sell my motor as a core for a rebuild. Probably put it on barnstormers or something to get rid of it and help pay for the new engine. How hard would you say putting a titan motor together would be?? would you have to be an A and P or AME - or could a regular fellow with a manual and some tools do this?? They quoted an additional 3500 to have it put together. :D I'm new to the forum - also new to the VANS RV ownership - however I'm happy to be part of this culture now - here in Vernon we have now about 13 of these planes - of various types and some being constructed as we speak. Mine is still down in the US awaiting FAA de registraiton so I can bring it up here.

I have a Gift Certificate for 25% off of a Titan EXP IOX-340 stroker engine that I won at LOE in Oct 2009. Make me an offer for the Certificate? I have no plans on buying a new engine. NOTE: The certificate expires 10/1/2011.

12 pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I am flying an IO-340

Guys, I just saw this post as I am in soggy, umm, I mean sunny Sun n Fun now and have not checked out the site in several days.

I have an ECI IO-340 in my RV9A. I can give you some specifics about its performance and the build issues (which really weren't much). It is sitting now at Sun n Fun in the Home Built section now (it is a red/white 9A tail number N446RV). My avatar is a picture of it so if you recognize it on the line and I am there stop by and say hello.

I love this engine. It came in all up weighing only about 8 lbs more than an IO-320. Complete cost for me in August 2009 was just around $24K.

America's Aircraft Engines in Tulsa, OK is the engine shop that has the LOE discount. They are the ones who built my engine. Great guys. You cannot go wrong with them. In fact they are building 2 engines at Sun n Fun this year in the engine forum tent. They are at the ECI booth all week at Sun n Fun. Stop in and talk to Richard or Steve Fowler and tell them I sent you.

Performance is outstanding on this engine. It is very smooth and quiet. I flew into Fl dodging weather so I cranked it up to get in and around the weather so flew faster than I normally do. We were cruising at 9500 ft with a true airspeed of 180 mph. I was running right around 50 deg ROP with CHT's around 350-370 and EGT's around 1370-1390. I will testify that you cannot go wrong with this engine.

Holler at me if you are at Sun n Fun or drop me a note via email if anyone wants more details. Since I am at Sun n Fun it is hit or miss if I will see this forum much while I am here but I do see my emails regularly on my I-phone while at the show. And, if you are at the show and you see me out at my plane please stop by and say hello. :D

Back