What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Easier way to install stab pickup doublers on RV-10

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I just installed my upgrade doublers onto the bulkhead under the stab.

I did not think it was necessary to remove all the top skin rivets as in Van's instructions and it wasn't. It can all be done from inside the fuselage.

Drill out the two top rivets on each side of the angle as shown in the instructions

Since the doublers are CNC punched, you can use the opposite side part as a drilling template on the FRONT of the bulkhead. Cleco the doubler using the two holes you just drilled out.

Space out the doubler at the bottom with a piece of 1/8 scrap to clear lightening hole depression so it is parallel to the bulkhead, match drill and cleco as you go.

Remove doublers, deburr them and the bulkhead.

Place the correct doubler on each side on the aft side of the bulkhead.

Rivet as per instructions.

Took me 45 minutes total

Good tip Ross.

Did you get this done standing outside the plane or inside the fuse?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just installed my upgrade doublers onto the bulkhead under the stab.

I did not think it was necessary to remove all the top skin rivets as in Van's instructions and it wasn't. It can all be done from inside the fuselage.

Your right it's not necessary.

The procedure was written (with the process that would likely be the most difficult to figure out) with the idea that most people probably wouldn't want to or are unable to work laying down in the tail cone.

It was expected that those that didn't mind would figure out a different process on there own.

Heh heh...unless you were the meanest, biggest center ever to play high school football (Hey..I thought so!)...then your doing it like me...from the outside. With shoulders that span close to 30"..which my mother still understandably curses..I got no choice!

I agree, if the plane is already built with elevator pushrods etc. in place, it would be easier to do from the outside by far.

If the plane is still under construction and you aren't built like a linebacker, you can do it much faster from inside the tail cone.

Back