What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagles Nest, Texas

Peterk

Well Known Member
There is a private airpark community in the DFW area called Eagle's Nest similar to Pecan Plantation where I live. I flew over there today to return Bob Kibby's generously loaned RV12 throttle cable. After landing I was chased down by a resident on his scooter who demanded to know who briefed me on the landing procedures at Eagles' Nest. Oops...my mistake. I had planned to surprise Bob so I didn't call first. While it turns out the landing procedures are fairly standard they do have a unique requirement. You must turn on the landing lights (during the day) before landing. I was told someone could have been standing on the runway when I landed with no warning to get out of the way.???? I will return to see Bob of course and will abide by the rules. Just thought I would pass on before anyone else makes the mistake I did. Call first!

Demo ride later

My ex-throttle made a visit to Eagle's Nest to deliver his younger brother. Pete was still in the first 5 hour phase which he probably completed on his return flight to Pecan Plantation. See that way he has a very important reason (i.e., justifies addition manditory flight time) to fly over to Eagle's Nest to give me a demo flight.

Just started on my canopy and Pete provided me with a complete list of the fiber glass materials needed which I have ordered from Aircraft Spruce. That really saves me a lot of time figuring out what to order. Thanks, Pete. If you would like a copy of the list just e-mail me.

I also just ordered an autopilot! Now if they will just release the Light Kit and the Wheel Pants Kit I can get all that installed before my 1st flight.

Wow, life is great and I'm working as fast as I can.
Bob Kibby

You must turn on the landing lights (during the day) before landing. I was told someone could have been standing on the runway when I landed with no warning to get out of the way.????

Well now, isn't that just silly. So if you fly a Cub or Champ with no lights... are you banned from living/flying there? Ridiculous.

Not so 'silly' or 'ridiculous'

At Eagles Nest there is a slight rise in the runway about half way from either end of the runway. So much so that you can not see the other half of the runway when in take off, landing position. We ask people to click their microphone five times to turn on the automatic RUNWAY LIGHTS and rotating beacon, not your aircraft lights, so that anyone who may be on either end of the runway, out of view of the other end and not in radio contact, get the warning that someone is about to use the runway and clear the area. It is for the safety of everyone and proven effective safety idea.

No evil plot against anyone here!

Last edited:
And don't forget that Eagle's Nest is just west the extended centerline and about 2 miles north of the runway at Midway (JWY). I overfly it just about every weekend on my way down to TA11. Lots of RVs based there.

TODR

Fiberglass -

Bob, could you please post that list of materials needed for fiberglass of the 12? It certainly would help me a lot as I am a complete novice. Thanks, E. D. Eliot

Back