What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA needs your help! Sheet Metal Workshop

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Fellow builders,

The EAA needs your help next AirVenture. The Sheet Metal Workshop needs volunteers to help teach the airplane dreamers the basics of preparing parts and riveting.

I have been a volunteer lecturer and instructor at the Sheet Metal Workshop for the past 20 years (except of the COVID year). The rewards are few but the expression on a persons face when they realize they can actually prepare and set rivets is what keeps me coming back to help.

The volunteers are treated well. Lunch, water and snacks are provided. If you work 20 hours (4 hours/class) you will get free admission the following year.

Many of the volunteers are aging out and are not returning. I was 40 when I started and now 61 so I too will age out in time. We need new blood to keep this training moving so please consider volunteering at AirVenture.

If you are interested in volunteering please let me know and I will keep a list so I can contract you as next July rolls around. Email me at [email protected].

Sheet Metal Workshop

I'll add my voice to the request for volunteers at the Sheet Metal Workshop at Oshkosh in 2024 and beyond. Those of us who volunteer there, including Paul who does a magnificent job with the briefing twice each day, realize that we are both teachers and decision makers for the next generation of builders. It is very rewarding to see the look on people's faces when they complete a small section of a wing spar, with both flush rivets and universal head rivets, using a rivet gun. I've worked with husbands and wives together, builders and their son or daughter together, or people from other countries meeting a stranger for the first time and building that small spar section. We need more volunteers to teach. It isn't hard, the tools are there, you just need to be the teachers and facilitators for a morning or an afternoon. EAA does a great job of supporting the volunteers with a variety of food and refreshments, and it is not unusual to see EAA staff like Charlie Becker in the Builder's Education Center. It's part of what we do! Sure would like to see more of you there to replace those who will age out.

I'm considering it. I already volunteer down in the South 40, but might be able to split my time.

I would be interested in helping. The more I attend OSH the more I realize we should all pitch in if possible to help preserve this special place.

mail sent.

even though this year was my first at airventure, we've definitely got to keep the building spirit alive and the only way to do that is to pass it along.

Back