What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA Lifetime Membership - worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanM

Well Known Member
Hello,

My yearly membership is due to expire at the end of the month, and I'm considering to just shell out the cash for a lifetime membership, to the tune of $975. I'm currently 26, and I figure it will take about 24-25 years for this to pay for itself, not taking into account the price going up (inflation).

Has anyone else done the lifetime membership?

General Thoughts?

Thought about it - never pulled the trigger. ROI isn't great as you pointed out. I think I decided its really a status thing.

Member for 12 years now...

The interest you would make off of $975 is $30 a year conservatively, so it would take you about 90 years to make it work. Of course, the "coolness" factor for the value for being a "Life Member" is not factored in. That could be priceless.

Last edited:
Hello,

My yearly membership is due to expire at the end of the month, and I'm considering to just shell out the cash for a lifetime membership, to the tune of $975. I'm currently 26, and I figure it will take about 24-25 years for this to pay for itself, not taking into account the price going up (inflation).

General Thoughts?
If you want to send me your $975 right now I will promise to pay your dues for you every year for the rest of your life! :D

There may be altruistic reasons for doing so, but I can't imagine any personal financial reason for doing so. Can you earn 4% (= ~ $40) annual interest somewhere by investing? Of course you can and you should be able to do MUCH better! So it would never make financial sense to do a lifetime membership, unless you want EAA to be able to earn interest from your money. Maybe that's good enough reason for you. If so, go for it.

Hello,

General Thoughts?

Ryan:

What is not advertised about LIFE Membership in EAA is all the benefits that you get. If you go to AirVenture, you get invited to a reception with great guest speakers. One year (100-years since the Wright Brothers flew) we had the reception in the evening and eveyone got to fly the Wright Flyer simulator and not wait in line. One of the decents of the Wright brothers spoke after dinner. Another year at the museum, Harrison Ford spoke. Sean Tucker and Burt Rutan have also been speakers. Yes a free meal and drinks as well as a great speaker are not the reason to become a life member. Become a Life member because you can and want to support EAA in the long haul.

Where would us homebuilders be without EAA support in looking out for our interests in the government.

Last edited:
Depends on how old you are now. I signed-up about five years ago (age 35) so as long as I live at least 22 more years it's a savings! (I don't suggest the extra $'s for the jacket though.)

I've been so close to doing this so many times, but the $1,000 always seems to buy me a few parts for the RV or some avgas.

If you want to send me your $975 right now I will promise to pay your dues for you every year for the rest of your life!
Now that was funny!

Last edited:
How do you know that the EAA will be around for you to break even on your investment? I believe that the EAA has reached the peak of its growth and influence. It has gone from a grease under the fingernails and people working together for their mutual benefit to a staff and management focused organization. who see the membership as a cash cow to be milked every year at Oshcosh IMHO.......
Why haven't they addressed the ethanol in auto gas issue? The last significant project they undertook was the Young Eagles. Prior to that was the Auto gas testing and the STC's for using auto gas in aircraft, With the blending of ethanol in auto gas those STC's are worthless.

I'd keep my money in the bank and pay as you go....

re: I did

Funny you posted this. I just did the lifetime thing at airventure this year. But, I included my wife. I figure this way, I'll never have to worry about not being able to afford renewal.:D
Just do it and don't look back.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM

I just did it, received my Lifetime goodies this week. Lots of reasons, least of which is financial savings at this point. However wish I'd done it years ago when I first joined. For me EAA is why we're able to build and fly RV's, provides a unified voice in governmental matters affecting our hobby, and provides many sources of information useful to us as builders and aviators. Now as I get older its one less thing I need to think about, I'll never miss another issue of Sport Aviation again :) and yes I think its a little cool to put a Lifetime Member sticker on the car window.

It's worth It!

I was an EAA member for twenty years before I signed up as a Lifetime Member four years ago. It has been worth it for me. I've been to the dinners at OSH each year and had excellent meals (in air-conditioning!) and heard excellent speakers, i.e. Sean Tucker!

A friend of mine signed up in the late-60's when Lifetime Memberships were first offered and paid $200. I believe he has earned all of his payment, plus interest.

By signing up as a Lifetime Member, as others have said, you are showing support for the organization that initially nationalized the homebuilt movement and has promoted homebuilding and sport aviation. EAA, for me, has kept me enthused about sport aviation. I have attended OSH annually since 1980 and have planned my July vacation around that week ever since that first year.

Other organizations, such as AOPA and CAF, also offer Lifetime Memberships. It is up to the individual to decide whether the organization's direction and vision matches the individual's. Why do people contribute to one charity and not another? It's an individual decision.

It's worked for me. YMMV.

EAA PIREP: Just got an offer from EAA to sign up for lifetime membership (after 34yrs as member). The mailing did not have the price of membership but did state they were giving $100 rebate on past dues on the Lifetime membership.

I called EAA. Normal price is $1295 minus the $100 rebate, total $1195.

They no longer have Oshkosh dinner for Life'ers, but they do have a tent during Airventure for LIFETIME members (plus one guest). It is AC'ed, water, snacks..... Of course you no longer have to pay dues which just went up to $48/yr. Payback just on dues approximately
24 yrs. You also get "SWAG", jacket, plaque.... plus bragging rights.

When I first thought EAA LIFETIME membership, I was a new EAA member late 80's or early 90's. It was $400 - $500 at the time. I almost did it. Should have of course in retrospect.

I'm not a "Special VIP" kind of guy. Don't get me wrong I love the idea, getting perks, but that seems like it's never me. (sad, sniff ha ha)

One thing over the years I dislike about EAA/Oshkosh I have observed over the years, they have A LOT of special VIP privilege. For example donors and EAA management, and guest of big wigs, have Special dinners and presentations at museum, passes, access. parking, private carts. The warbirds folks have their own special exclusive cliquish group as well.

One year I recall had special tent for "SOCIAL MEDIA INFLUENCERS". They were all young people with YouTube channels. Some of these folks were new to aviation. Great! But they pandered to them, VIP lounge, free admissions, expenses, and then OLD farts get ignored. How about people who have contributed to Aviation for 30, 40 years of more? Nothing. I get they are trying to attract younger people but.... I wonder if they get free LIFETIME memberships? Not sure they still have social media influencer lounge?

I was special once when I flew my RV-4 to the show, went to homebuilders dinner in nature area. That was fun. Sat across from Mrs. Rutan, Mother of Dick and Burt. That was a treat.

Last edited:
What he said …

I was an EAA member for twenty years before I signed up as a Lifetime Member four years ago. It has been worth it for me. I've been to the dinners at OSH each year and had excellent meals (in air-conditioning!) and heard excellent speakers, i.e. Sean Tucker!

A friend of mine signed up in the late-60's when Lifetime Memberships were first offered and paid $200. I believe he has earned all of his payment, plus interest.

By signing up as a Lifetime Member, as others have said, you are showing support for the organization that initially nationalized the homebuilt movement and has promoted homebuilding and sport aviation. EAA, for me, has kept me enthused about sport aviation. I have attended OSH annually since 1980 and have planned my July vacation around that week ever since that first year.

Other organizations, such as AOPA and CAF, also offer Lifetime Memberships. It is up to the individual to decide whether the organization's direction and vision matches the individual's. Why do people contribute to one charity and not another? It's an individual decision.

It's worked for me. YMMV.

Plus what Gary Sobek said.

As a former Board dMember (several terms), I can say without hesitation that the focus of the management IS on doing what is felt most important for aviation in general and experimental in particular.

There is a ***LOT*** of time spent with the FAA on matters that might have been or might be very damaging to our kind of aviation. Not a lot of said about it. Instead people are having the meetings to educate, inform, and influence “the powers that be”.

The organization has built a very good working relationship with certain agencies and part of what makes it work is that it is more like a “quiet diplomacy” or quiet partnership” of people trying to get things done.

I have been of the view (and have shared this with Board members) that AirVenture should continue to evolve to “my fly-in at the Convention”. By this I mean put in place those things that support “birds of a feather”/“communities of interest”. It is with this type of thinking, more investments were made over the last few years to make a “home” for homebuilders.

I can assure you that the organization is managed very well financially. And it must be in order to insure its long term viability. When COVID hit, the organization was able to make it through even though a SIGNIFICANT portion of the revenue for the organization comes from AirVenture and we decided to NOT have it.

The slight reference to golf carts/privileges for “management” (in this case I include Board Members and thus myself). We PAY for our housing and those of us who get a cart pay for that as well. (Not all Board Members choose to get one.) I do it so that I can visit EVERY “community of interest” throughout my stay. As well as making note of what needs to be improved overall, while providing “courtesy rides” to members we see who may be up in years and could use a lift or someone clearly overloaded and struggling to get to their next stop.

I say all of this just to give some otherwise not available flavor.

And yes, I am a Lifetimer. And my reason was simply to support the organization. I would NOT live long enough to make it a financial payment decision but that was the choice I made.

YMMV

Lifetime membership?

A Navy buddy at my (then) new squadron, who was originally from WI, really got me going on EAA. I signed up in the early 80's for their Lifetime "equivalent". Was $100/yr. for 10 years,IIRC, back when $100 was worth a lot more. Have been to OSH/Airventure over 35 times, so definitely got my money's worth. The perks were so good, that particular program is no longer offered.
As someone alluded to, if signing up now, I'd recommend doing so in your kid's name.
But even being fully "paid up", I still contribute for what they do, much like supporting Doug for this site.

Doug
Seattle area

If you are young, say below 35 or so, and can afford it, I would suggest signing up for a lifetime membership. EAA didn't have this option when I first joined back in 1974 (couldn't afford it back then anyway) and today it makes no sense for me financially. But if you really love airplanes and believe in what EAA is all about, as I do, then sign up and show your support.

Keep in mind that over time the dues will likely climb. I have been frankly surprised that EAA has not raised dues more often or made them higher than they are now.

Just my opinion but EAA membership is more than just an economic decision -- it's a commitment to the goals and ideals of the EAB movement.

Next year, I'll re-up again for the 50th time. It's been a bargain.

Chris

I've been tempted to sign up for lifetime for the last 10 years, but haven't made the commitment. If the additional benefits that go along with the lifetime membership are worth the premium, then the lifetime membership is worth the cost. If you've been considering making a 4 figure donation to the EAA, just become a lifetime member.

But you'll never justify it against annual membership costs.

OTOH, you can rationalize it any way you want. Just like airplane ownership. ;-)

Another negative of a lifetime membership is that you have no leverage if they take a turn in a direction you don't like (shy of renouncing your membership). I'm a lifetime member of another organization which now has a corruption scandal at the top. Not going to renounce my membership, but I would not be renewing if still on the annual dues plan. Maybe unlikely from EAA, but one never knows.

Hello,

General Thoughts?

well, considering that I have paid annual membership dues for 28 years now, it would have been worth it for me. When I was in my 20's though, I could not justify it in my budget. (ie couldn't afford it)

I got something in the mail just a few days ago pushing lifetime and I was thinking about this. Sure do wish they'd do some sort of prorate discount deal for older guys like me

I got something in the mail just a few days ago pushing lifetime and I was thinking about this. Sure do wish they'd do some sort of prorate discount deal for older guys like me

A while back I asked for a discount to eliminate the jacket, the plaque, and a couple of the cost-add gingerbread things that I have no interest in. I'd at least feel better knowing I wasn't absolutely wasting the $50 that stuff costs.

The answer was... Not gonna.

I understand. They don't want to make this ala-carte, but...

Closing the thread

Good discussion. However, it runs up against VAF Posting Rule 3:
“Discussion about how EAA or AOPA, or any other aviation organization is run isn't for here.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back