What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA E-LSA Inspection Course

JohnF

Well Known Member
This past weekend I took he required course to enable me to get the inspection authorization for the E-LSA RV-12 I am building. The repairman's certificate I got after building the RV6A is of no use re the -12.

The course had folks from Ariz, Utah, Mont, etc and was a 2.5-day affair. It was held in a suburb of Denver, CO.

If you already have built an RV there's really nothing new in the course, but for those who have not previously constructed a plane it should be worthwhile rather required (as it is) or not.

This past weekend I took he required course to enable me to get the inspection authorization for the E-LSA RV-12 I am building. The repairman's certificate I got after building the RV6A is of no use re the -12.

The course had folks from Ariz, Utah, Mont, etc and was a 2.5-day affair. It was held in a suburb of Denver, CO.

If you already have built an RV there's really nothing new in the course, but for those who have not previously constructed a plane it should be worthwhile rather required (as it is) or not.
Just to be clear, You must take the course to be allowed to inspect your E-LSA.

Mel, can you as a DAR issue the annual inspection authority for an E-LSA or has the FAA reserved that issuance authority to the FSDO units only? (in both cases with all the paper work in order of course.)

I am 6-months or more away from finishing the RV-12 but just wanted to know. Thanks.
John
RV6A flying
RV-12 tail/wings/fuselage done

Mel, can you as a DAR issue the annual inspection authority for an E-LSA or has the FAA reserved that issuance authority to the FSDO units only? (in both cases with all the paper work in order of course.)

I am 6-months or more away from finishing the RV-12 but just wanted to know. Thanks.
John
RV6A flying
RV-12 tail/wings/fuselage done
To perform the annual condition inspection required for E-LSA, you must attend and pass a 16 hour course approved by the FAA. No DAR or FSDO can issue this certificate without the required class.
This certificate will authorize you to perform the condition inspection on any E-LSA that you own.
If you sell your E-LSA and purchase or build another one, you must add that aircraft to your certificate, but you will not have to retake the course so long as the new aircraft falls into the same category as the old one. i.e. "airplane"

Last edited:
Mel,
If I purchase another RV-12, do I need to add that one and if so, how do you go about it? Also, the wording says you may perform the inspection on any ELSA or LSA of the same catagory that you own. Where does it that the aircraft mut be listed on your certificate?

Art Pennanen

You Got Me!

Mel,
If I purchase another RV-12, do I need to add that one and if so, how do you go about it? Also, the wording says you may perform the inspection on any ELSA or LSA of the same catagory that you own. Where does it that the aircraft mut be listed on your certificate?

Art Pennanen

We were told in training that each individual aircraft would be listed on the repairman certificate. Looking at the rule, 65.107, I cannot find that requirement. My main contact at Oklahoma City is out of pocket until later this week. I will get with him as soon as he gets back.

Last edited:
MEL, I think you are missing the point of my question: I have already taken and passed the required course and have the certificate in hand. If I have the other required paper work can you, as a DAR, issue the condition inspection authorization? Or do I have to go to an FAA FSDO to get that done?

John

I guess I don't understand the point of your question. If you have the repairman certificate in hand, THAT IS your authorization to perform the condition inspection.
There is no other required paperwork.

Last edited:
The certificate I have is the "diploma" from completing the required course. The information I have is that the FAA requires the FSDO to have you personally appear with a photo ID, the "diploma" from the required training course, a copy of the plane's airworthiness certificate, a copy of the plane's operating limitations, a copy of the aircraft's registraion, and a completed FAA form 8610-2.

My question is: With all that paperwork, can you, or any other DAR, issue the repairman certificate? Or, do I have to do all this only with the FSDO?

Sorry to be a pain but I'm trying my best to get everything straight. Thanks.
John

Only FSDOs can issue Repairman Certificates!

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that you had the certificate. Only the FSDO can issue the repairman certificate.
It was discussed several years ago that DARs should be able to issue the certificates, but it was voted down in Washington.

Mel,
Art Pennanen
I just heard back from Oklahoma City, and I did remember correctly. Yes, your aircraft must be listed on your repairman certificate. The requirement can be found in FSIMS Order 8900.1, Volume 5, Chapter 5, 5-1248(B)(1). It states that "The owner's aircraft will be identified by class, registration number, and serial number on the repairman certificate."
If you obtain another E-LSA, it must be added to the certificate.

Thanks Mel, I would never have found that info on my own and I know someone will ask me some time.

Art Pennanen

Thanks Mel, I would never have found that info on my own and I know someone will ask me some time.

Art Pennanen

Hey, I was pretty sure it was there but I had to call Oklahoma City to find where myself.

Dallas Area Courses

Your best bet is to watch the EAA schedule...they move around the country and have had them in the area. The do have several at Oshkosh during the year. Also California Power has them. Keep in mind, you don't need it until one year after your plane receives authorization.

Back