What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA build table, rivet plate?

Sig600

Well Known Member
Going to build a few tables this weekend, am curious how those of you that put in a rivet back plate layed it in. I'm not exactly Bob Vila when it comes to wood working.

Rivet Plate

I added a top made of masonite the same thickness as the plate. Place the back rivet plate where you want it...trace around it and cut the hole with a jigsaw. Drop the plate in. I didn't glue or screw the top down...stays put just fine.

Mike

what I did

Just one option:

Starting with a 3' x 3' square of 1" thick masonite, I used a router to carve out a bed for the backrivet plate, leaving it 'just' proud of the top (maybe 0.010"-0.020" or so). Works well on top of my main workbench, and is portable so I can store it when not needed.

Just be sure to wear a mask if you use a router on masonite - that dust is nasty.

My back rivet plate is 3/4" thick so I just cut out the same size in the top and added an extra brace under. I leave it in all the time.

IMG_0033.JPG

Back rivet plate

I used a 1/4" polished plate and just lay it on my bench. Go to Lowes Aircraft Supply or Big Orange and buy 2 24x24 carpet tiles. They are rubber backed and about 1/4" thick (buy 3 or 4 if you want a larger area). The rivet plate stays put and you can move it wherever it is needed. I find this much more flexible than embedding it and it takes less time to build and more time to bang rivets.:D

Where did you get the polished plate? I picked up a 3/8" piece of mild steel, but there are tooling marks in it.

I used a 1/4" polished plate and just lay it on my bench. Go to Lowes Aircraft Supply or Big Orange and buy 2 24x24 carpet tiles. They are rubber backed and about 1/4" thick (buy 3 or 4 if you want a larger area). The rivet plate stays put and you can move it wherever it is needed. I find this much more flexible than embedding it and it takes less time to build and more time to bang rivets.:D

I use this approach also, except I just use some flattened cardboard boxes to lift the sheets to the level of the plate. The flexibility to move the plate around is very useful.

John

1/4" polished plate.

I got my plate from Avery's. I believe it measures 4x16x1/4. Kind of expensive at $35 but the quality is good and the polished surface is excellent.

It's nice to have option I would say. I didn't embed it and used a heavy plate and 5' long 1/4 thick strip found at a metal refuse place. Sanded polished good to go. I even found it convenient just laying on top of the bench for trailing edge riveting. Ability to move backriveting surface is nice feature too.

Back