What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA air venture prebuild

RNB

Well Known Member
Patron
I've got an offer in on a flying 10, have not heard back for several days over the holiday weekend. Has me revisiting other options, including building. I'd be a first time builder, suspect I would stick with mostly stock stuff, no fancy consoles, AC, etc... Would going to Airventure be of benefit prior to building? I can't think of a reason to go unless I was doing lots of add ons and wanted to see what was possible.

Thank you.

IMO absolutely. All the major vendors will be there (kit manufacturers, avionics , engines, tools, etc). There’s also the free workshops you can attend to learn basic skills like riveting, fiberglass so forth and so on. Finally the community brain trust will be there in force. For a prospective buyer and/or builder I can’t think of a better venue to see and learn firsthand.

OK, so what is an easy way to stay in the area without blowing the bank. I'm not likely to fly.
I've looked at some of the things like EAA sheet metal classes and thought they were all booked up, is that not the case with other forums?
Are there reliable shuttles from nearby towns with available rooms?

OK, so what is an easy way to stay in the area without blowing the bank. I'm not likely to fly.
I've looked at some of the things like EAA sheet metal classes and thought they were all booked up, is that not the case with other forums?
Are there reliable shuttles from nearby towns with available rooms?
There are hundreds of free forums where you can learn (practice) things like sheet metal work, welding, composites, fabric covering, avionics, engine management, etc. The EAA sheet metal classes are pay to play, and last days, not an hour or two like most of the forums. The inexpensive way to attend is to camp or to stay in the University of Wisconsin dorms (which may or may not have availability). Hotels are pretty much a lost cause this late in the game - both from an availability and a cost perspective.

Be advised that this is very late in the game for most lodging options outside of camping in Scholler. There maybe some dorm rooms left but most likely the only practical option will be a hotel room in a surrounding town.

Be advised that this is very late in the game for most lodging options outside of camping in Scholler. There maybe some dorm rooms left but most likely the only practical option will be a hotel room in a surrounding town.
Does camping fill up? It reads online as first come first serve

Does camping fill up? It reads online as first come first serve
No—Scholler is huge. However as it fills the campsites get further and further west of the show to the point it pays to have a bicycle or something to commute from the campsite to the gate.

If you camp bring a bike. Its a long way to the gate. The showers by the full service sights are always wide open.

I bring a very old garage sale bmx bike w/20" wheels and dont lock it up. Never stolen. Good people there in camp. Not good camping....your in a grass field, chemical toilets, minimalist showers. But good people. Its interesting to make a pot of coffee early morning, then offer some to your neightbor and just visit.

"Hi my name is xxxxx. I have some extra coffee. btw, I like airplanes." is all it takes to get a smile and a conversation going.

If you camp bring a bike. Its a long way to the gate. The showers by the full service sights are always wide open.

I bring a very old garage sale bmx bike w/20" wheels and dont lock it up. Never stolen. Good people there in camp. Not good camping....your in a grass field, chemical toilets, minimalist showers. But good people. Its interesting to make a pot of coffee early morning, then offer some to your neightbor and just visit.

"Hi my name is xxxxx. I have some extra coffee. btw, I like airplanes." is all it takes to get a smile and a conversation going.
Not good camping? It surely not the Westin but it isn’t a tent in the woods either…

Bit of a drift off topic, Maybe a silly question for most of you, I’ve never been to Oshkosh. I bought my 14A, haven’t built, is it ok to be in homebuilt camping? Any reason to not camp there if it’s ok? Thanks

Bit of a drift off topic, Maybe a silly question for most of you, I’ve never been to Oshkosh. I bought my 14A, haven’t built, is it ok to be in homebuilt camping? Any reason to not camp there if it’s ok? Thanks
Absolutely!! HBC is for all E-AB/E-LSA aircraft regardless of whether the present owner built it or not. Although you are free to camp with the rest of the GA crowd in N40 or S40, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to go into HBC.

I've got an offer in on a flying 10, have not heard back for several days over the holiday weekend. Has me revisiting other options, including building. I'd be a first time builder, suspect I would stick with mostly stock stuff, no fancy consoles, AC, etc... Would going to Airventure be of benefit prior to building? I can't think of a reason to go unless I was doing lots of add ons and wanted to see what was possible.

Thank you.
Yes, Oshkosh would be great for you but even better would be taking the Synergy Air 2-day Fundamentals class. It's not a question of whether you can build an airplane, but whether you really want to. Spending 2 days performing the actual tasks will let you know what you are in for. If you like learning and performing all the tasks and you are ready to spend a lot of time in your workshop then you're a good candidate. Many people look at all those beautiful RVs at OSH and really want one but have no clue how much work is involved. I know there are some hands on forums at Oshkosh but I think the multi-day experiences at Synergy or maybe EAA Sportair are better suited for a serious new builder.

Back