What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E701L Tab Bend Detail

CDBridgesRV7A

Good Day All,

I was wondering if someone might have a template to make the "winglet" instead of bending the tabs on the E 701 L? I'm about to order the E 701 L skin, and all the subsequent parts, for the 3rd time all because of the bending of those 2 little tabs.

Tonight the bottom bend went great, however the top tab not so great, too the point where I need to order a new skin. If I try to drill all the stifferners out I'll just end up enlarging the holes on the stifferners and will need to put OOPs rivets in instead of the 426 3-3.5 rivets.

I'm finding this part very frustrating so I think I would like to go with the "winglet" vice the bending, this time around. Even better would be for someone to make me a "winglet" :p If you have a template that I can use could you please pass it along? I have enough scrap metal lying around that it won't be an issue to make one. In fact I have 2 left elevator skins that I can use as scrap :eek:

As always, thanks for the continued help.

Cheers

Chris

I guess you mean making an end rib. Lots of builders choose this approach. I like the appearance myself.
It's actually quite easy and lots of fun.
First make a form using 3/4" MDF or just plain wood. Basicly a skinny triangle to fit the airfoil. Radius the sides to give a nice bend for the flange of your rib.
Cut a rough blank of sheet al. and hold it against the form in your vice.
Now just tap away with a mallet or hammer to form your flanges.
When you are done, trim the flanges (with a belt sander if you have one).
I think I made a couple before I was satisfied with the result, but this really is a fun project. It will make you feel like a real builder!

Since this is a small part and not really stressed you can use quite thin sheet material which is really easy to work.
Plan your rivet spacing carefully. Stagger them top and bottom so you have more clearance on the rivet tails at the skinny end.
Enjoy

Just re read your post. My reply was for the trim tab, but the same applies for the elevator.

Last edited:
Thanks

Jim,

Yes you are correct I was talking about building a "riblet" vice a "winglet" for the left elevator instead of bending those tabs. I have my trim tab completed already and had no issues with bending those tabs. The elevator tabs on the other hand.................

I know Andrew Zachery built one of these "riblets as well" and he explains the process really well on his builders site, I'm just wondering if someone actually has a template IOT build a "riblet" for the left elevator.

Cheers

Chris

Back