What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

e-Prop for RV-12 Experience?

BradyB

I'm New Here
Does anyone on the forum have experience swapping to e-Prop's tri-blade? I recently purchased an ELSA RV12 and her Sensenich prop isn't looking all that pretty. I also have a spray-on chromed spinner that is peeling. Some fresh carbon fiber would be a huge improvement from a looks perspective. The increased performance claims are substantial, along with reduced vibration and wear on the ULS gearbox.

https://aircraft.e-props.fr/index.php?cPath=1_21_1453&language=en
https://blogen.e-props.fr/archives/11309/e-props-on-vans-rv-12-video-of-installation-and-tests/
IMG_5518-1024x768.jpg

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but this would be a major change requiring Phase 1 testing, correct? I need to talk to a DAR, but I would need a reassigned test area since the aircraft is far away from her initial phase 1 area.

A couple of thoughts…. Blades can be sent back to Sensenich for rebuild and returned looking like new. I doubt if three blade prop has any effect on gearbox longevity. Owner/operator has most influence on gearbox life...

I have a buddy that put one of these on his 912iS powered CTLS and absolutely loves it. Very high tech and has interesting performance characteristics. Very nice.

Duc Swirl 3 on RV-12

Not an e-Prop. I have a Duc Swirl 3 on my RV-12 ULS. It's my second Duc prop on my second RV-12. It was recommended to me by a rotax mechanic that had tested multiple props on multiple airframes including the 12. It is extremely smooth. I've heard "claims" that 2 bladed props perform better by the numbers and that may be true in theory, but I would just say that informal testing of this specific prop shows that it both out climbs by 100-150 fps at the same airspeed and has a higher top speed than the other 12's on the field so it's not just a pitch thing. although some of that may be that my plane is light. I'm very happy with it. Looks are subjective. IMO I love the way it looks.

My main objective was smoothness and reduction of vibrations. My first experience in an RV-12 was with my previous 12 that had been changed to the Duc prop by my previous partners long before I bought in. They were unhappy with the vibration on the stock Sensenich 2 blade. So i was spoiled and wanted the same smoothness on my build. I put on a stock 2 blade to comply with the ELSA rules and then changed it almost immediately (with FSDO concurrence) and the difference in smoothness was significant.

My hunch is some of the motor mount and other types of cracking and wire chafing risks reported in the 12 can be minimized by reducing the vibrations due to the prop. In my case, this Duc Swirl 3, carefully pitched has done that and more.

A bit of apples and oranges but it is also smoother than my dynamically balanced stock two blade on the RV-10.

Located near the OP at OLM if you want to come by

Attachments

• PXL_20210826_003050131.jpg
    PXL_20210826_003050131.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20210717_031122616.jpg
    PXL_20210717_031122616.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 56
3 blade Sensenich?

Lot of discussion on improvement with this 3 blade prop compared to 2 blade Sensenich. Any comparison with 3 blade Sensenich? Ordered a 3 blade with my engine kit that was supposed to be crated last mont. Still waiting on Vans plan.

Back