What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E Mag

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Are there electronic mag products to consider other than EMag? I placed a deposit with them and it is on perpetual hold. I am wiring the 6 cylinder engine and would like to run one electronic and one standard mag.

I too have a deposit down with PMag. However, I have a flying airplane and just could not wait any longer. While I wait, I'm running the new to market CPi system discussed in this thread and so far I'm impressed.

Can you think of an advantage of Pmag over CPi? I think having the electronic computer on the cold side of the firewall, as in CPi, and placing the coil packs on the front side of the baffles, as you did, would be advantageous.

The electronics stay cool and you don't need to create a baffle leak with blast tubes.

Is there another advantage?

I can see advantages and disadvantages to ANY of the EI products out there, and if I really wanted to justify any of them from a safety/robustness standpoint, I'm sure I could talk myself into any one of them. That's the "benefit" of having very little hard data to go on. And with all of the EI systems offering simmilar performance advantages over magnetos, there's no clear discriminator there.

So it really comes down to the consumer experience, I think. Ross has provided excellent support for his product (as has Brad with the PMag). One advantage for me is the tunability of the CPi (which may be a disadvantage for some). And finally, cost. A dual CPI system is significantly less expensive than the other systems I've looked at.

Last edited:
Note that the OP was referring to an ignition system for his 6 cylinder Lycoming. I don't keep up with the play-by-play on the version of the pmag for those engines but last I heard it wasn't yet available. Intent isn't to turn this into another thread about the exact status and availability of those, it just isn't an option yet (unless something changed very recently) for the OP.

Back