What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Mag final phase and another question

witek

Well Known Member
Hi All emag experienced users,

TC position on Lycoming engine - in case of traditional magneto the timing is set up on TC position on cylinder no 1. In case of emag there is no information in manual regarding which cylinder should be a reference.
What does it mean- simply TC position regardless which cylinder??
Better to ask then do mistake in aviation world 😃
Thank you in advance for explaining.
Witold

I seem to recall TC on number 1.. it doesn’t matter if it’s on compression or exhaust stroke though because it fires both, but I would still do compression stroke out of habit..

Last edited:
Page 14 of the manual
The timing marks will only be in the correct place when cylinder no 1 is at TDC.

What does it mean- simply TC position regardless which cylinder??

That is correct. Simply put the timing at the TC position.

From the Emag Installation Manual LC114.28: "Note 2: It does not matter whether the engine is on the compression or exhaust stroke for a particular cylinder."

This is exactly my question. TC when cylinder no 1 is in TDC position or simply TC mark independently which cylinder is in TDC position. Two answers above are providing contradictory information.

BR,
Witold
Page 14 of the manual
The timing marks will only be in the correct place when cylinder no 1 is at TDC.

This is exactly my question. TC when cylinder no 1 is in TDC position or simply TC mark independently which cylinder is in TDC position. Two answers above are providing contradictory information.

BR,
Witold

What? Contradicting information? Number one is at TC or TDC (same thing) when the timing marks are lined up.. how are you getting contradictory information from this? Do not line up the 25 degree mark.. line up the TC on the front of the ring gear to the starter dot, or from the back side of the flywheel to the case parting line.
If neither agrees with TDC of the number one piston, you are doing something wrong.

TC ain’t hard

The correct answer is in post #1 - Emag timing is done at TDC of ANY cylinder, no need to remove plugs etc to find that - just line up the TC mark on flywheel with hole in starter or use the crankcase split line with TC on aft side of flywheel - simple:rolleyes:

This is very precise answer

Thank you and others providing information to my questions regarding E-mag.

Safe flaying,
Witold

Last edited:
Back