What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Mag and MAP on same Port

Humrnv

So what are y’all’s thoughts on using the same port for the E-mags and the EFIS MAP or should I run different cylinders to supply the MAP?

RV-6 O-320 160 hp with dual E-Mags and GRT glass and remote engine sensors

I have them on the same port. I don't remember who the vendor is off the top of my head, but somebody makes a billet mount that clamps on a engine mount tube and has a restrictor fitting built in for the MAP line/Transducer and also has a hose barb coming off it for the hose to the Pmags. Super easy install and if you add the other available ones for fuel and oil pressure it eliminates that firewall mounted manifold with it's hoses running every which way

I've got a whopping 3 flights on it so far, but it seems to work fine.

Edit- Just figured out where I got it from; It was Showplanes.

Last edited:
So what are y’all’s thoughts on using the same port for the E-mags and the EFIS MAP or should I run different cylinders to supply the MAP?

I have the same port for both.

I take the MAP off of Cylinder #3, then tee'd off to the map sensor and both P-mags. Working fine for the last 10 years/1100+ hours. Be sure to have some sort of snubber/orifice in the line to dampen the pulses.

I take the MAP off of Cylinder #3, then tee'd off to the map sensor and both P-mags. Working fine for the last 10 years/1100+ hours. Be sure to have some sort of snubber/orifice in the line to dampen the pulses.
Weve been doing it for years, literally 100s of planes world wide.

EXACTLY how I have mine set up. Has worked perfectly for over 700hrs.

IMHO a "snubber/orifice/restrictor" is almost a requirement. Makes everything work so much better. ;)

Last edited:

I used the #3 cylinder port to provide MP sense for my GRT glass panel (MP sensor box aft of firewall), and for vacuum advance on my SureFly EI - through the Showplanes billet sensor mount with built in restrictor. I think I bought the Showplanes sensor mount from FlyBoys. I also have one of those for my fuel pressure sensor.

In the picture I don’t have the EI connected yet because I ran fixed timing during engine breakin. I also still have the oil filter “screen” vs an oil filter at that point. Those two things have changed. It all works very well.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpeg
    IMG_2511.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 43
I use the plenum , right behind the throttle plate as my source (smoothies out the lumps seen in a single cylinder), but to that I feed 2 ignitions, the EFIS and my fuel pressure regulator.

Back