What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-LSA RV-12 Build & AOA Tubing Pre-Install

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I guess I believe in living by the "Spirit of the Law" rather than the "Letter of the Law".. i.e. won't hook up the aoa feature in the Dyson Skyview prior to FAA inspection; however, will after. My question is...what size tubing is to be run from wing to the sv-adahrs-200. I plan on installing a static port pop rivet in the wing near the stall warning swt. (using it in lieu of one of the standard rivets assembling the wing skin to rib).

Much easier to do this with skins open, rather than after closing everything up. Wish Van's would include this "as an option" in the plans.

Building EAB, I installed the AOA out by the stall warning device, I used some foam pipe insulation to support the tubing thru one of the lightening holes in the ribs. One of the suppliers sells a hookup kit of the proper tubing and fittings. Some details are in my kitlog shown below.

I bought the skinny little tubing but decided it didn't have enough beef, so switched to the standard pitot sized tubing. You can have mine.

Mine was all hooked up for the FAA inspection, just awaiting going into the Skyview Menu system and saying "Yes". Answering a Menu question was my definition of "hooking it up."

I don't believe doing something that enhances flight safety - that EVERYONE - including the stodgy old FAA -- agrees ought to be done, and something that enhances flying safety - ought to be done "on the sly.".

Do what's right now, while it's easy, instead of waiting for Vans to come around.

Bob Bogash
N737G
Now signed off and an hour and a half flight yesterday with my wife - my first passenger. She liked it. I believe she did....

Thanks Gentleman for the advice....I got some 1/4" tubing @ Lowes Aircraft Supply to run before closing in the tailcone.

I am doing this not only for the AOA function; but also to install a 2" water column gauge (LRI) which will work even if electric power is lost... Keeps you at a safe landing airspeed.

Back