What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-LSA and FAA Forms

Catbird

Well Known Member
OK, I'll admit up front that I'm a little slow and am apparently working in a vacuum. I received the RV-12 Documentation Packet last week and have been studying the enclosed E-LSA and FAA Forms for several days. I have questions that must have obvious answers because it isn't apparent that anyone else is asking.

Form 8050-1: Aircraft Registration Application
<Is this mailed to the FAA? If so, does anyone have the address>

Form 8050-2: Aircraft Bill of Sale
<What do I do with this? Is it required to accompany Form 8050-1?>

Form 8050-2: Aircraft Bill of Sale (COPY)
<Cynthia at Van's says to keep this for my records.>

Form 8050-88A: Affidavit of Ownership

Form 8130-6: Application of U.S. Airworthiness Certificate

Form 8130-15: Light Sport Aircraft Statement of Compliance - Cynthia at Van's says to retain this for my DAR inspection.

Thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge.

Read the 8050 form.

The complete instructions including what to send and where to send it are on the 8050-1.

You will need the original 8130-15 to show E-LSA kit compliance.
This is given to your inspector.

The 8130-6 is typically supplied by your inspector. It does NOT go to Oklahoma City with the registration application.

Thanks, Mel.

The instructions for 8050-1 direct me to mail the WHITE original copy of this application to FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, P.O. Box 25504, Oklahoma City, Cklahoma 73125-0504. It goes on to tell me to retain the PINK copy after the orignal application, fee, and evidence of ownership have been mailed or delivered to the Registry.

The definition of Evidence of Ownership refers to Form 8050-2. But here's my question: Does Form 8050-88A, Affidavit of Ownership, need to be mailed along with Forms 8050-1 and 8050-2 to provide Evidence of Ownership? If not, what is 8050-88A for?

Contact the FAA

Actually, I would say your best course of action is to call the FAA and ask them these questions. They are the ones wanting this information and will be the best ones to give you the correct information.

I have contacted the FAA on numerous occasions about this and other various topics. Contrary to the bad reputation we sometimes erroneously lay on ALL FAA interactions, I have found whenever I call them concerning these type of issues they are extremely helpful. Give them a try.

Click on the link below to go to the contact information from the FAA website for Aircraft Certification. I bet they will give you the answers you need:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/contact_aircraft_certification/

FAA Registration

There have been a number of posts in the forum on what to send to FAA to register a 12, but it has been a while so I'll repost what has worked in the past.

This is what I sent to Oklahoma City to register E-LSA:

1. A letter requesting that my reserved N number be applied to this aircraft.
2. AC Form 8050-1 Aircraft Registration Application
3. AC Form 8050-2 Aircraft Bill of Sale
4. AC Form 8050-88A Affidavit of Ownership
5. $5.00 Registration Fee

All of the above forms are included in the documents package received from Van's.

With regard to E-LSA and not EAB, pertinent info and gotchas:

On the 8050-1
Be sure the Aircraft Manufacturer & Model is: Vans Aircraft Inc RV-12
(This also must be exactly the same, including punctuation, on the Data Plate you put on the plane)
Be sure Name of Applicant is entered "Last Name, First Name, MI", otherwise they will probably send it back.
Be sure you print your name below your signature or they will probably send it back.

On the 8050-2
I did not put the price on the Bill of Sale. I did print in my reserved N number in the place for it.

I got the registration back in about 3 weeks.

You may want to keep copies of everything. The FAA does not return anything.

This is from my own experience and past posts by early builders who registered E-LSA.

Regarding the 8130-6 and the 8130-15: These forms are used later for your airworthiness inspection. Like Mel says you need to keep the original of the 8130-15 for the DAR. I called the FSDO to ask how to apply for the airworthiness inspection. I was asked to send in the Airworthiness Application form to the local FSDO for review. They called me with some corrections needed on the Form 8130-6 Application, and I was instructed to download a new form from the FAA website, correct it, and email it to them. After this was done, they approved the paperwork for airworthiness inspection and notified the DAR that he was authorized to proceed. You should be in contact with the DAR prior to the inspection so everything is covered before he arrives. The FAA office was very helpful and friendly through all of this.
Tony

Last edited:
FAA Registration

Listen to Tony. My hero! (and Mentor.)

I followed his advice - mailed in my paperwork EXACTLY as he stated on Friday March 23 and the Registration issued on Weds Mar 28. N737G is now Legal.

Can't beat that for speed or ease.

Thank you Tony.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Yeah, me too. Mailed everything off just as they'd advised on Tuesday 3/20 and received my registration certificate on Wednesday 3/28. Magically, Kit #120221 was changed into Airplane N562E.

Just wondering, though. All I got from the FAA was a post card registration certificate with instructions to cut off about a third of it. There was no enclosing envelope and the card arrived bent up and scruffy looking from going through the postal system. Is that it?

I guess I don't understand your question. What were you expecting?
The FAA sent you your registration card. They are not responsible for what happens in the mail.

Well, I guess I was expecting something on parchment suitable for framing.

Another question while I have your attention, Mel. Since my plane is going to be E-LSA, will I identify myself on the radio as Experimental 562 Echo or as Van's 562 Echo?

Another question while I have your attention, Mel. Since my plane is going to be E-LSA, will I identify myself on the radio as Experimental 562 Echo or as Van's 562 Echo?

Can't frame it because it has to be in the plane (but you already knew that....). ;)

An E-LSA is still experimental and as such must be identified as experimental when landing at or departing from a towered airport.
This requirement will be listed in the operating limitations for the airplane.

All I can say is I listen to Vans airplanes operating from towered airports all day long around here on my radio, (as well as talking to Center and Approach) - and only infrequently do I hear "Experimental." Mostly, it's just "RV 1234", sometimes "RV8 1234".....

Bob Bogash
N737G

"Experimental" is only required on initial call up.

Not required for "center" or "approach." Only required when "operating into or out of an airport with an operational control tower."

Just because it may not be done doesn't make it legal. It is required in accordance with your operating limitations.

Last edited:
Re: Inform "Experimental"

My Operating Limitations require that when operating out of a towered airport you inform the tower of the experimental nature of the aircraft. But you don't have to keep repeating it. On the initial call-up I use "Experimental RV" and full call sign. The tower then knows I am experimental and also that I am a small low wing single engine aircraft. Around here there are "Experimental" Boeing 787s. I don't want them to think I am one of those :p. After the initial call, I drop the Experimental and just use "RV" and call sign.

And when contacting ATC for flight following, I use the "Experimental RV" on initial call-up although the Operating Limitations are mute on that. But, after all, they need to know what you are, what your performance is, and what you look like if they are going to give advisories of your presence to other aircraft. Edit Note: After reviewing this I think using the "Experimental" with ATC not at towered airports is unnecessary since they all know what an "RV" is.

ATC recognizes "RV" as a type and now when I file a flight plan their computers accept RV12 as a type. I guess before a type is recognized you would use the generic FAA designator which for a homebuilt aircraft with a speed between 100 and 200 knots which would be HXB.

There is an amazing amount of information in the AIM. I love reading the AIM :D.

Also there have been some good threads on this subject in the General Discussions forum with lots of different opinions and techniques, including some comments from controllers. Good topic to search on a slow day.

Tony

Last edited:
"I love reading the AIM"

When you come over, Tony - being a packrat - I'll show you almost 50 years of AIM's. I HATE them - or what they have become. My first AIMs were maybe 40 pages and could be rolled up to swat a fly. My current version looks like the NYC phone book and could be thrown at a charging elephant.

Bob Bogash
N737G

P.S. My "official" postcard registration arrived in the mail today - in good shape. It kinda looks like my annual property tax statement which arrives and looks the same.....

Yeah, yeah, mine looked like junk mail at first. Glad I didn't throw it out with the rest of the junk mail.

8050-2, Aircraft Bill of Sale

Tony T's explanation is the best.

Just sent in my registration paperwork for ELSA to Oklahoma City and within a week the 8050-2, Aircraft Bill of Sale came back with an Important Notice stating:

"The enclosed AC Form 8050-2, Aircraft Bill of Sale, may be used; however, the word "aircraft" should be stricken and the word "kit" inserted in its place. If you cannot provide a bill of sale for the kit, explain why. If you are not the original purchaser of an uncompleted kit, you must provide all bills of sale from the kit manufacturer through any intervening owner(s) to yourself."

So, at the top of 8050-2 I crossed out the word Aircraft and wrote above it Kit. And, sent it back.

Very timely. I just logged on this morning to do a search on this very topic and found this thread. Getting ready to mail it all in. Thank you all for the assistance. I love this place.

Paperwork

I'm going thru the same. If possible I think it is advisable to contact your inspector before sending the papers to the FAA. I have found that the FUSDO'S or whatever they call therm selves don't all want the same forms filled out the same way. The Program Letter that Vans sent me is not what they want in Kansas city. I got a copy of what KC wants from my Inspector as he said they will just send it back if I send the one from vans. The one they want is all on 1 page but really is almost identical. I didn't see anything about the program letter but that has to be in the pile. Whoever the Inspector deals with will be who you have to satisfy. Stan
RV-12 ready for inspector

My 12 was the first the DAR had done and the FSDO had only done a few other ELSAs. I sent everything to the DAR and worked with him before finalizing the package I faxed to the FSDO. In the end it was all fairly painless.

Back