What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-310 Rib Question

dlomheim

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a photo by chance of what an "E-310" "rib" looks like when you drop it into the left elevator. It appears that it must act as a doubler for the hole that gets cut in the lower skin to provide an exit for the push-pull trim assembly. The shot on plans page 13 and the installation view on page 15 leave something to be desired (in terms of my simple brain), so thanks for any pictures.

My RV-3 doesn't have that "rib" since the original builder didn't build a trim system per the plans, so I will have to add one...

Doug
RV-3 restoration

Here's the photo. I added a shear clip in the back as a modification. It's the strap between the rear spar web and the flange of this part.

Not shown is that there's a flange at the front that rivets to the front spar web. You'll need flush rivets for that one. In my case, I cut it off and replaced it with a shear clip because the original flange stuck out too far and pushed this rib outboard. You do have to be careful so that its rivets don't interfere with the elevator horn rivets.

Also, you'll need to cut the slot for the trim cable.

scq7ls.jpg

Dave

Here's the photo. Dave

Thanks for the photo and ideas Dave...did the piece from Van's need much modifying by you, or was it pretty good. I'm going to order it in rather than make my own since I need to order a new elevator horn anyway since the original builder drilled a big hole through the original one to route the trim cable...

It's worth buying from Van's, I think. I trimmed that front flange to get the E-310 closer inboard than it otherwise would have been, to better line up the cable, but it's not otherwise necessary. That added shear clip in the back was for shear continuity to the rear spar, but there haven't been any problems reported on VAF which suggest a need for it.

KatieB suggested that the cable line up with that lightening hole in the elevator horn flange, an excellent idea. But you might need to fool around with the E-310 part to make that happen.

Dave

Back