What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon versus Garmin installation

Hello folks,

I'm very close to ordering my avionics package from Van's and I'm not looking to create another thread about the merits of each one, rather I would like to find out if one system is easier to install.

I'm planning on having one screen and the 2-axis auto pilot. Is one system simpler / easier to install when compared with the other?

Thanks,
-Lee

My Dynon install was a piece of cake. No experience with the Garmin install but I'd suspect it's pretty much the same ...

It is very likely that the Garmin will be a little extra work. I had to add a couple of wires for the AP Servo under the pilot seat. There is also a little bit of modification to the panel mounting nut plates and some minor wiring changes in the tailcone.

I would say maybe 2 or 3 days of work to make the modifications.

I think it was well worth the effort. I liked the G3X system in the -12 so much that I'm re-doing my -7A with a complete G3X system.

Don't want to turn this into Garmin/Dynon battle but the swinger for me was that Dynon retained the function buttons on their touch model. I use the touch screen in smoothish air and switch (mostly) to the buttons in rougher air. Using the touch screen in rough air doesn't work for me. YMMV

RV-12 Garmin

The wiring for the Garmin G3X is straight forward. Adding the GPS 20A and the GA35 ant for the year 2020 in and out required only a 2 wire coax from the aft baggage bulkhead to the a/p servo under the pilots seat. easy to do. Also the 305 a/p controller is a nice unit to use.

Install?

Lee,

From my recent experience doing my install, I wish I had looked at and studied the install and interconnect diagrams and other related instructions for each of the systems I considered. Just the time spent "learning" the manufacturer document style may help you decide.

Jim

I had already installed AP servos (Dynon); when I stopped by Van's on a very sunny day. I had my sun glasses on in their front entry where both units were on display. The difference in screen appearance was enough that I made the change.

Install was easy....I believe you would be glad....go with the 307 AP controller if you do.

Back