What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon update to 5.4.0 and rx/tx wire conflict?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
We have a RV12 with duel screen and Autopilot.
We are trying to update it to 5.4.0 but we have found that if the PC serial connector wires are connected to the (AV CONTROL BOARD 12, 37 PIN D-SUB) we cannot do an update and we only get yellow screens.
If we take out the 2 wires, in our D37 pin 9 connected to PC RX and pin 32 connected to PC TX then we can successfully update both dynons one at a time.
So My question is this:
1)***** Is the pin assignement in the (AV CONTROL BOARD 12, 37 PIN D-SUB) correct in our harness ( pin 9* -> PC RX; pin 32 -> PC TX)
2)***** What data is send along these line from the AV Control Board
Thank you
Rudi

Dynon

We have a RV12 with duel screen and Autopilot.
We are trying to update it to 5.4.0 but we have found that if the PC serial connector wires are connected to the (AV CONTROL BOARD 12, 37 PIN D-SUB) we cannot do an update and we only get yellow screens.
If we take out the 2 wires, in our D37 pin 9 connected to PC RX and pin 32 connected to PC TX then we can successfully update both dynons one at a time.
So My question is this:
1)***** Is the pin assignement in the (AV CONTROL BOARD 12, 37 PIN D-SUB) correct in our harness ( pin 9* -> PC RX; pin 32 -> PC TX)
2)***** What data is send along these line from the AV Control Board
Thank you
Rudi

Rudi hope on the Dynonavionics.com site & go to the Support page I'm sure you will find the answer there or you can post your Question there my friend.!

PC Serial Port

CONTROL BOARD 12, 37 PIN D-SUB Pin 9 White/Orange and Pin 32 White/Yellow are correct. In addition, a ground wire also is needed.

However, this is what I would do:
Remove those wires from the control board because they are not needed there. Early kits had the wires pass through the control board to a serial port in the fuselage tunnel, which was NOT a convenient location.
Run the wires directly from the Dynon 25 pin EFIS D-Sub to a serial port conveniently located under the panel.
Connect the wires as follows:
A White/Black wire from Dynon EFIS D-Sub pin 9 to PC serial port pin 5 (ground)
A White/Orange wire from Dynon EFIS D-Sub pin 10 to PC serial port pin 2 (DATA TX)
A White/Yellow wire from the Dynon EFIS D-Sub pin 22 to PC serial port pin 3 (DATA RX)
See page 2-4 of the FlightDEK-D180 Installation Guide
Joe
DSCN4215a.jpg

DSCN4216a.jpg

Thanks Joe

Joe,

I'm not sure if Van's have hired you as a consultant yet, but I for one sure appreciate your very helpful advice on RV-12 wiring issues on this and many previous threads. Thanks very much.

Thanx Joe!

We have cut those wires out of our pc rx/tx lines. We will just blank them off and leave them non connected. Our screens and AP and servos updated fine after the mod, as long as you remember to only have 1 screen on at a time during the update. If both screens are on, they don't update, since they share the same rx/tx wires and get confused.

Rudi hope on the Dynonavionics.com site & go to the Support page I'm sure you will find the answer there or you can post your Question there my friend.!

Hi splitty, it is a vans wiring issue not a dynon issue. We resolved it now. Rudi

Thanx Joe!

We have cut those wires out of our pc rx/tx lines. We will just blank them off and leave them non connected. Our screens and AP and servos updated fine after the mod, as long as you remember to only have 1 screen on at a time during the update. If both screens are on, they don't update, since they share the same rx/tx wires and get confused.

There was a wiring revision issued that shortens the maint. port harness and separates the maint. port harnesses from each other.
Powering on one display at a time for updates does make the update work, but I think you will find you will still have problems later if you don't do the prescribed modification.

There was a wiring revision issued that shortens the maint. port harness and separates the maint. port harnesses from each other.
Powering on one display at a time for updates does make the update work, but I think you will find you will still have problems later if you don't do the prescribed modification.

Hi Rv Builder,

we missed that update which section is it?

Thanks

Well bad news, tonight we checked and found the alt enc function does not work to the transponder, so we had to reconnect those wires we cut.

In addition our 495 gps was updated to latest software, and now we don't get gps signal to the dynons. Not sure if it is 5.4.0 or new garmin software that has a problem or has reset the config...

Can someone with a duel screen setup please post their gps efis settings and also their garmin communication settings for us to try?

One step forward 2 steps back....!

<SNIP>
Can someone with a duel screen setup please post their gps efis settings and also their garmin communication settings for us to try?

<SNIP>

Anyone?
I think the D180 GPS Settings is under the following menus EMS->Setup->Global-> last option in the menu scroll all the way down.
AND The Garmin GPS Settings is under Menu->Setup->Communications

Thanks.

Last edited:
Rudi, my settings...

GPS
AVIATION IN/NMEA AND VHF OUT
BAUD 9600

EFIS Serial:
INPUT> AUTO
BAUD>AUTO

EMS Serial:
INPUT>NMEA
BAUD RATE>AUTO

Tony

The ADVANCED NMEA setting on the GPS must be set to Normal and not FAST. The default is FAST if I am remembering correctly...

Thankx Guys, I will report back on Sunday once I am back at the airplane.
I think the GPS got reset to defualts after we upgraded it to V2.70 so I hope these setting will fix it.

Rudi

OK here is my Setup->Interface Settings
Serial Data Format: Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out
Baud: 9600

OK, here is my Advanced NMEA Output Settings, Hit Menu on the Interface Screen:
Output Rate: Normal
Lat/Lon Minutes of Precision: XX.XXX' (4 digits)
Waypint IDs: Names
GPS Status (GSA, GSV): On
Garmin Proprietary: On
Waypoint/Route (WPL, RTE): on

Can Someone Confirm the Advanced setting is correct please?

The ADVANCED NMEA setting on the GPS must be set to Normal and not FAST. The default is FAST if I am remembering correctly...

I believe you are correct for 495s & 6s bought off the shelf. Stein is supposed to set them up for our RV-12 application. From previous posts, some of them did come through with the "FAST" setting and had to be changed by the builder. Mine was OK as it came from Stein and that is what I meant when I said my settings were default. Everything worked when it was all initially turned on.

I will check these settings as Rudi requests.

I was not aware that upgrading the GPS software would cause the system to go off line. This points out the problems of upgrading component software. When upgrading the Dynon software a lot of settings are also reset to defaults that don't work for our RV-12s. And it is possible that Van's locked settings can be corrupt, as what happened with the switch lights not working after the last update. Care has to be taken to ensure you have all the data needed to reset stuff after an update. I am surprised that the software gurus at the equipment houses can't hack out a little program to capture all your settings prior to an upgrade. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Tony

Last edited:
OK here is my Setup->Interface Settings
Serial Data Format: Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out
Baud: 9600

OK, here is my Advanced NMEA Output Settings, Hit Menu on the Interface Screen:
Output Rate: Normal
Lat/Lon Minutes of Precision: XX.XXX' (4 digits)
Waypint IDs: Names
GPS Status (GSA, GSV): On
Garmin Proprietary: On
Waypoint/Route (WPL, RTE): on

Can Someone Confirm the Advanced setting is correct please?

My setup matches yours.

I noticed that when you update the Op system on the GPS, that the COMM1 settings will go to a default.

Back