What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview owners, sub panel components: Where?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
RV9A, Have my panel cut out for a 10' & 7" skyviews as well as my com radio. Was wondering your thoughts on mounting the transponder,ADSB unit,EMS unit on the sub-panel 8' behind the main panel or make a shelf between the two panels and mount them flat? Did you use a fuse panel with ACT pull fuses or circuit breakers? Where did you locate your fuse panel for easy access? I installed two USB ports to the top of both Skyviews for easy downloads or software up grades. My concern here is that I have the new GarminGTR 200 comm with 10 watts of transmit power, (Icom A210 has 8 watts) (Dynon radio 6 watts). Is getting the transponder and ADSB unit and com-radio a concern based on proximity of each other with their transmissions?? Just recieved Bob Nuckles book in the mail and is a requirement I feel to building and understanding the panel build. Much appreciated your pictures and thoughts. Many new panels are glass and this topic is always a interesting one.
Thanks
Ron in Oregon

One option is to put in some cross angles and mount the boxes upside down on them with nutplates.

Think removal when lying on your back looking up...:)

A Dynon Skyview EMS here -

cross-angles.jpg

I put the ADAHRS, Transponder, and ADS-B boxes behind the baggage bulkhead. That is where the antennas are located on the belly.

I put the EMS unit on the forward panel rib near the firewall. The wires head forward through the firewall and to the engine sensors.

I put the COMM unit on the forward side of the subpanel.

Photos are on my web site under the Wiring folder.

I put as much stuff as I could where I can access it through the PFD holes. The only thing I could not get on the sub panel was the EMS unit. If I didn't have the Ignition module, the EMS would have fit. I hate working under the panel so wanted everything accessible if possible from the front.

ADAHRS are behind the baggage.

Thanks Bruce, well defined photos! Gil and dan appreciate the thoughts and pictures. Used your ideas today at our EAA 292 chapter and visited RV10 builders with the two skyviews and Dynon radio. That Dynon radio with the auto populate freq's is way cool. As we sat in the hangar with the dynon skyview on we watched the images of the aircraft in the traffic pattern being displayed on the screen. Great ideas and with that said I used them all. Now starts my panel wiring. Thanks All!!!! :):):):):)

Component Access

This is a bit off-topic, but Gill Alexander's comment about laying on your back to get at items behind the panel caught my attention. It was difficult for me to get under and behind the panel in my RV8. So when I built a new panel, I made it removable at the suggestion of Mike Arbuthnot (Glasair III builder). Three 28-pin cannon plugs accomplished the task, with all circuits and grounds going through the plugs. It takes about 25 minutes to remove the panel, and exposes everything normally hidden by the panel for easy maintenance or modification. I am not sure it this would be practical for side by side aircraft, but it seems that it would work there, too.

I just finished mounting all my Skyview components on the aft side of my sub panel.

I have a tipup and thought I could have good access with the canopy raised.

Also, with the 10 inch skyview screens removed, I can get good access through the main panel which is where I took the pictures from.

I tried to allow room for the wires and plugs, which is why the EMS module is spaced so far away from the comm unit. The sensor plug will be on top of the rail, and the thermocouple plug will go below the rail.

I plan to run the majority of the wires under the ribs through adel clamps instead of drilling holes. I am not sure how that will work yet.

The pieces of tape mark where the canopy frame overlaps the panel and also locates some templates I made.

Note that the backup batteries are positioned so the connecting wires point in the optimal direction. The Arinc radio connections point down so that the wires can route behind the panel to where the GTN-650 comes out the backside.

Only my VPX unit will be forward of the sub panel, hanging down underneath from a couple angles.

DSCN1095_zpsb7787ad7.jpg

DSCN1096_zps253ee23f.jpg

Ron,
Here is another option. One of our European dealers makes a nice bracket to hold SkyView modules behind the panel.

The bracket is shown here

And you can order it here:here:

You will probably have to use Google to translate the page from Italian.

-Robert
Dynon Avionics

What I would add to this is what I always add about this subject...I strongly recommend you try VERY hard to avoid mounting boxes behind the sub panel or on the firewall. Even with nutplates. The reasons are several, but mainly the fact is that even if you mount something with nutplates, getting it in and out whilst laying upside down under the panel (with the spar under your lower back) in the dark confines of a finished RV is miserable - I've done it too many times! Also, because the Dynon screens are so nice and thin, there is a pile of room between the panel and sub panel (including the aft face of the sub panel itself) to mount things. A simple tray/table between the panel and sub panel give you a bunch of room, so anything you can do to that end is something you will be glad you did when you need to remove/replace/update piece parts.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Hello Robert and Stein, Robert that is a neat set-up, Dynon avionics bay,who would have thought! That is way cool ,just got off the Northstar website. Thanks Stein, as the ideas keep coming in one only has to think of a PERSON WHO HAS BEEN THERE installing. I'm glad I did not cut holes in my upper forward skin just for access to BEHIND the sub panel as some have done. Clarity has surely made Dynons equipment or for that matter anybody's equipment to stay between the front and sub-panel and just run wires to the engine compartment. I'm all for it! I appreciate the thoughts and ideas that have come from experience in their built projects. Im really liking the avionics tray that Robert mentioned. I would have to say I definitely think theres a product to offer the Dynon builders! ONE STOP,ONE SHELF,and a ROUND-a-about wiring harness. Thats a real kit! You would be silly if you ever mixed manufacturers when it could be all DYNON in one suitcase on your workbench and then slid it back into the plane! How easy is that! Thanks for Vansairforce/Army!!! You all have saved me a bunch of heart aches in these design phases of the panel. I hope the moderators place these threads in the Library. With the comments so far I believe any RV builder could keep it simple behind his panel. Bruce nice looking organized wiring and components.Hey Bob used your idea on the USB ports up front. I cut two holes in also and like that idea,thanks. Just finished fastening the stand-offs for my EGT & CHT probe wires toward the firewall. Takecare verybody!Thanks and as always MUCH appreciated!

Ron in Oregon RV9A N421HJ

Thanks

Back