What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview EMS Failure

Ron RV8

Well Known Member
Yesterday the Skyview booted with a full screen red cross saying "EMS FAILURE". It would not turn off with the 1 button, and would not turn off with the master. I rebooted the Skyview and it came up apparently as normal.

What I did find is that the RMP indication was fluctuating significantly, and I was getting occasional autopilot warnings. Earlier, on the last few flights I noticed some fluctuation of RPM readings and wondered about what might be causing it.

I recently loaded update 14.2.1.3698 and wonder if there might be a glitch?

The system also contains a number of splitters rather than a hub. This was recommended by some one at Dynon early in the install. I wonder if there is a maximum number?

I also recently installed the basic knob panel.

Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing why someone would recommend splitters versus a hub, which is basically a 5 way splitter.

I've asked myself the same question. I really didn't know about the hub when I was setting up the system. They said 2 spitters would do it. Think I'm up to 4 or 5 now...

Wires are too short now to reach a hub and I've got a lot of $ in splitters.

Got a call in to dynon, we'll see what they say...

Splitters were used prior to the introduction of the 5 way hub about a year ago. No difference in their use. No practical limit to the number of splitters in your system. I have been using a splitter for the ADAHRS and another for the servos. Recently added a hub to avoid a daisy chain of screens, buttons, knobs, ems, adsb, etc.
Was this problem in a new system? Fluctuating RPM is unlikely to cause an EMS failure. If the RPM jumps around erratically it could need added resistance in the p-lead pick up wires. Was this one time only or can you get it to recur?

Ouch! As a young man I was learning to fly a couple years back, now I'm on Medicare.

Back