What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Shunt?

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to mount my Dynon shunt and ANL, the Dynon shunt is really big, at B&C they have 60A shunts that take up much less real estate. I would ask Dynon directly but they are closed.

Can you use another shunt with FltDek 180 or do you have to use the one supplied by Dynon. I think most ammeters just want the scale on the instrument to match the amp rating on the shunt, but I may be wrong about this. Although my shunt from Dynon says 60A on the box the shunt itself has a 40A marking. I have read here at VAF that Dynon knows this and it is planned that way. Thanks for any help, if the answer was on the board already I could not find it after 30min of searches.

Cheers

You probably can. I would post the question on the Dynon site - they often answer, even on weekends.

dynon shunt

You might have your answer by now. I had the same question. Dynon say no problem using a 40 amp rated shunt for a 60 amp alternator. It can handle the extra ampage and will be accurate. The accuracy depends on the millivolts versus the voltage. Dynon uses 1mv per amp. ie 40 amp, 40 mv.
The B and C shunt that I have have is a different ratio.

Answer from Dynon

This is exactly what Dynon told me 1 mA = 1amp. I assume by this they mean if I buy a shunt is should be a 40A and have 40 mA stamped on it?

Cheers

You might have your answer by now. I had the same question. Dynon say no problem using a 40 amp rated shunt for a 60 amp alternator. It can handle the extra ampage and will be accurate. The accuracy depends on the millivolts versus the voltage. Dynon uses 1mv per amp. ie 40 amp, 40 mv.
The B and C shunt that I have have is a different ratio.

This is exactly what Dynon told me 1 mA = 1amp. I assume by this they mean if I buy a shunt is should be a 40A and have 40 mA stamped on it?
Cheers
You meant 1mV = 1A right?

The fact is that amp meter is actually a (mili)volt meter. It measures a voltage drop across shunt terminals caused by the current in it. Shunts are designed that for each amp going through them there is a voltage difference of 1mV between their terminals. Easy and cheap solution.

If you're interested

I have a B&C shunt (don't know the rating, probably 60 or 100) that I bought for my GRT system. Come to find out that I needed a Hall effect sensor. I now have the standard shunt available. PM me or call: seven 0 two 278 zero 273.

re shunt

Sorry for the typos.
The shunt from Dynon will be stamped 40 amps 40mv.(even though the box might be labeled 60 amp shunt!). I don't have my EMS yet, but apparently it can't be calibrated to accept a different ratio shunt. For that low price I guess you can't grumble.

Back