What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Pitot Tube

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I am starting my wing construction, and would like to go ahead and mount my Pitot tube as I get to that point (still probably3-4 months away). My problem is that I don't know what EFIS I will be going with. Right now my front runners are Skyview and G3X. Are there any problem with installing a Dynon Pitot tube, and then just not using the AOA if I go with the Garmin or other EFIS, or is there something that makes the Pitot tube specific to Dynon?

Thanks,

Bill

Other than maybe being able to get a cheaper pitot if you don't need the AOA, there's nothing wrong with what you're proposing. The Dynon pitot will work just fine with another manufacturer's EFIS or a steam gauge airspeed indicator.

Keep in mind that you don't really need your pitot tube until you're ready to close up the bottom wing skins, which for most folks is well after the wings are "completed". I believe typically the bottom skins are riveted on just before mounting the wings the first time to set incidence/sweep.

Last edited:
I bought the mount, did the bottom skins and the mount, set the whole thing aside

suggest you do the same, it's the cheapest

That sounds like the best solution (To just buy the mount). I just feel like I keep putting off decisions because I have not decided on which EFIS to go with, yet I wnat to finish off things as I hate to have "mostly" completed things.

Bill

I did the same thing, although with the dynon mount you aren't stuck w/ the dynon efis

in fact the AoA for the advanced flight systems is it's own install kit, and completely diff if you go that route

the only bad things i've seen of the dynon is icing over even w/ the pitot heat on, i've kept my eye on these threads

Back