What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon pitot/aoa plumbing

Wyzepilot

I just ordered the Dynon heated pitot/aoa. My quick build wing has the tooling holes in the ribs drilled for the 1/4 pitot tube line. I need to add another line for the AOA. I was thinking of just adding 3/8 holes with a 1/4 bushings right next to the pitot line holes. Just wondering where most builders added this line.

Also, I have corrugated tube for the wire runs but I'm thinking of just leaving the bushings. I plan on running all of the wires now while the bottom skins are off. Is there any advantage to using the corrugated tube over the bushings?

As always thanks for the wonderful advice.

Dave

I would think that if you want the ability to run wire later, it would probably be easier with the corrugated tubes. I guess you could also just leave a piece of string through the bushings and pull any new wire through with that.

I'm hoping to be doing similar work on my wings here in the next month or so! That is if they ever actually get here!

Thanks for the response Eric. I defiantly plan on running a string through just in case.

Just to give you a heads up since I just did it last week, here are some things I found on my "easter egg hunt" when I received my QB wing kit:

page 13-3 hole was not enlarged in the spar for routing Vans stall horn wire. disregard if you do not plan on installing it.

13-4 wing Tie-Down Brackets were not tapped.

16-2 the inboard holes on the wing walk doublers were not final drilled or machine counter sunk. USE EXTRA CAUTION drilling and MCS the #19 holes. All but one set of holes is for the K1000-08 nut plates (#19 screw hole in the middle). The odd ball is for the MS21051-L08 which has the screw hole at the end, it's easy to miss.

16-3 nutplates were not installed.

from that point forward I took the tanks off and started to complete section 18

I am very pleased with the quality of work, good luck!

let me know if you see something that I missed....

Dave

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave! Congrats on getting your wings :)

I'm jealous. Mine were supposed to be here in August... then September... then October... now end of November or sometime in December!

Thanks for the heads-up, Dave! Congrats on getting your wings :)

I'm jealous. Mine were supposed to be here in August... then September... then October... now end of November or sometime in December!

Look at the bright side. Vans is giving you extra time to save up for the engine and avionics :)

And while you're at it - remember to label your pitot/AOA plastic lines where they attach to the masthead, and where they come into the fuselage wall. You will almost certainly at some point need to do something with one or the other, and you can't tell them apart without labeling.

Ask me how I know that...:rolleyes:

And while you're at it - remember to label your pitot/AOA plastic lines where they attach to the masthead, and where they come into the fuselage wall. You will almost certainly at some point need to do something with one or the other, and you can't tell them apart without labeling.

Ask me how I know that...:rolleyes:

Somewhere - maybe Stein - I got colored plastic tubing, so pitot was red, AOA was white. I did have to keep track of static line which was also white (clear, actually). Not sure, but I think I bundled the AOA line with the wiring.

I placed an additional 1/4 plastic grommet next to the hole already in the ribs and ran the pitot and AOA lines near each other. I also placed plastic conduit, zip tied, through the lightening holes in the event the stock hole Van's placed in the rib was insufficient. Good I did as I needed this to run the roll servo harness in that extra conduit.

Thanks for all of your great advice. I will be using plain nylon tubing so I will be sure to label each line. It also sounds like a good idea to run an extra conduit just in case. Thanks again..

Dave

A pitot line will fit nicely in the j-channel in the middle of the top skin. Before you put on your bottom skins it would be easy to install and put a dab of rtv at each rib to prevent chafing.

Not sure if you can tell from this picture, but the pitot and AOA are run at the base of the ribs, I drilled the holes not to far apart.

20141217_202337.jpg

20151024_151027.jpg

Last edited:
Leave yourself enough "service loop" in your wiring and plastic lines inside the wing to be able to unscrew the pitot from the mast, drop it down and disconnect from the outside. You can secure the service loop easily with wire ties from the access plate beside the pitot mast, but it's a LOT easier to do the connect/disconnect routine with it hanging free from the wing rather than flat on your back under the wing fighting through the access plate.

IMG_1132_zpswuawjzpw.jpg

More great advice, thanks again it's always appreciated. I just received my pitot/aoa today. I just need a little more advice then I'm ready to work. how did you guys mount the controller? I'm thinking of making a mount with some scrap aluminum and nut plates then riveting that to a rib. I guess the other option would be to rivet 4 nut plates directly to the rib itself but it doesn't seem to rest flat between the lighting holes.

This is my first time working off the plans so I just want to make extra sure that I don't mess up. Thanks!

Dave

Exactly as you say. If you can find a flat spot to just mount the nutplates, that works fine. Otherwise, and plate over a lightening hole and the controller there works. For easier access, you could also mount it to the inspection plate.

Back