What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon pics..

Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

Anyone have any pics of a Dynon EFIS D-10A and EMS D-10 side by side on the left side of the plane?

I'm thinking about reworking our panel is right now, this is the "plan."

Just curious how it looks..

thanks

Jeff

I have this very setup. EFIS on the left, EMS on the right. My panel has changed a little since this photo was taken (dropped the Trip AP, added an SL30 for example), but otherwise it's what I have today. Click the image below for full size.

Exactly what I was looking for..

How do you like it?

I'm thinking a panel much like yours with airspeed, attitude indicator and altimeter backups below them..

Going to have to order a panel though, as we'd have a bunch of holes in the panel.. :)

Jeff:

I like my setup fairly well. I've got a few hours on it now (coming up on 400) so I think I've had time to decide what I like and don't like.

The EMS is awesome and the size suits me just fine. I personally don't see a need for a big honkin' screen just for an engine monitor. The EFIS is very nifty too and I like the size. Side-by-side is nice. I keep the RPM and MP displayed in the upper-right hand corner of the EFIS so I can switch to the CDI, etc. on the EMS and still have my two primary engine instruments in my scan.

So what *don't* I like? I wish I would have made room for the HS34 module. That thing is ridiculously too large (made to match the height of the 100-series screens). Pushing the soft keys to set your heading bug, etc. can be quite cumbersome. Seriously...that's about it. It's a neat setup and I still like it.

Jamie

Oh yeah, I added the RAC trim indicators to my panel *before* Dynon announced support for trim indicators on the EMS. If I were doing it again obviously I would have just displayed trim on the Dynons.

Jeff,

While the set up shown is very nice - why not spend a few more bucks and go 100/120 ?

That's what we did and it produces a really good pair of displays

IMG_0033.JPG

Thanks for the replies..

The larger screens would be really nice.. We are still discussing whether or not we want to go glass.. We are perfectly happy with our steam gauges, however, we'd love some glass.. We are discussing an autopilot.

The smaller instruments were considered in an attempt to keep the panel as is, but if we go with an EMS we will obviously lose a large amount of instruments which will leave lots of holes, so a new panel is probably the best idea..

Transistion panel

When I changed out my Vans steam gage engine instruments for a Grand Rapids EIS 4000 I turned the w columns of 3 rows of holes into a large rectangle. I then fabricated a cover panel with the right rectangular opening for the EIS that covered where the holes used to be and mounted the EIS. I am planning on trying out some new switch positions below the EIS on the sub panel. Once everything is how I like it I MIGHT make a whole new instrument panel. Until then this one looks good and has some flexibility for expansion.

uncut panel

Jeff , I have an uncut panel in my shop for a RV 7 or 9 . Not sure how that sizes up in a 6. It's located in NW Georgia south of Rome KRMG, if your interested. The shipping could be 0 if you wanted to come over and pick it up. send me an email [email protected]

Jeff,

Here is another option.

I put an EFIS D100 on the left side and an EMS D10 on the right side.
Because I have an Affordable Panels panel, my radio stack is offset to the right and the EMS D10 is centered right in front of the passenger while the EFIS D100 is centered on the left side.

When flying VFR, I have the D100 split 2/3's EFIS and 1/3 EMS. If I have a pilot in the right seat, I will display the EFIS screen on the EMS so they have their own EFIS to fly with.

I have the EFIS programmed to display the CDI on the bottom and GS on the left side of the artificial horizon. That's in addition to being able to display the HSI on 1/3rd of the EFIS, if you want to fly IFR.

(Click to enlarge)

As for the steam gauges, having flowing with the Dynons now, I wouldn't bother.

Dynon Setup

Here is my configuration, EMS D-10 on the left and EFIS D100 and my Lowrance 2000C, soon to be replaced with a 696.

dsc_0015.jpg

When flying VFR, I have the D100 split 2/3's EFIS and 1/3 EMS. If I have a pilot in the right seat, I will display the EFIS screen on the EMS so they have their own EFIS to fly with.

So, the D100 with allow you to set it up split as EFIS and EMS? Is this sharing between the EFIS and EMS? Are you somehow importing data off your EMS into the D100 to run it this way? I guess what I'm asking is - if I bought only a D100, I wouldn't be able to run EMS, without buying an EMS, right? Confused yet? LOL..

Another quasi off-topic question, the Affordable panels panel, how does he do the location of the items? Do you have to draw up the panel in CAD or is there an available software that will allow you to place items where you want them?

Jeff,

Dynon has a proprietary DSAB buss that allow the D180, D120, D100, D10A, & D10 to talk to each other.

All the units can share information over this buss, thus the D100 can display the engine data from the D10 and the D10 can display EFIS data. However, if the EMS D10 crashed (which is highly unlikely), you could not display the engine data on the D100 or visa-a-versa.

You have some options with the Affordable Panels panel. I bought mine as blanks and cut the holes myself. However Fabian will be more than happy to cut / drill all the instrument & switch holes you want.

What this panel does do is provide three panels, a large left panel, the radio stack, and the smaller right panel. In my installation, the radio stack worked out to be just to the right of the throttle quadrant. By making the left panel larger, it gives you a lot more room to install instruments or whatever while still keeping everything in sight. I'm very pleased with the layout and would buy his panel again.

There are more pictures here on my panel page.

So, the D100 with allow you to set it up split as EFIS and EMS? Is this sharing between the EFIS and EMS? Are you somehow importing data off your EMS into the D100 to run it this way? I guess what I'm asking is - if I bought only a D100, I wouldn't be able to run EMS, without buying an EMS, right? Confused yet? LOL..

This is correct. Both can be in one unit with the FlightDEK D-180. But if you have a setup with an EFIS and a EMS, then they can share information between them, and each screen show information from the other screen. In effect, having an EFIS and an EMS allows them to both function like the FlightDEK D-180.

Back