What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon OAT Probe Failure Mode?

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Is it possible for the Dynon probe to fail "open" when troubleshooting with an ohmmeter?

I recently had grand plans to relocate my temp probe from the aft fuselage because it was picking up engine heat. I disconnected the connector from the magnetometer and desoldered the 3 wires for the probe. When I replaced everything and powered back up, the remote compass was "not found" by the D-10A. Double checked the wiring and found that my blue and red wires were reversed, but even when that was corrected, I still go the "not found" message. Finally swapped in a spare magnetometer and it showed up immediately, but still no OAT. So a friend suggested ohmming out the probe; I'm expecting about 7k, but I get nothing at the connector.

Any thoughts?

How old is the OAT probe? We have two types in the world, and they work totally differently.

I don't know. The airplane first flew in 2005, and the probe has red, blue and yellow wires in a shielded cable, and was working fine a couple days ago.

You can check in your setup in the D10A to see if it has a "type 1" or a "type 2" sensor selected.

If it's a type one, hooking the blue/red backwards will kill it, and it can't be checked with an ohmmeter even when working 100%.

It's a type one, and apparently I killed it.

Did that wiring mistake take out the magnetometer too?

...OK, who has a spare OAT probe they don't need?

Back