What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HSI Display in the RV-12

MartySantic

Well Known Member
The CDI needle did not appear on my Dynon HSI display. The CDI needle appeared just fine on the Garmin 496 HSI display.

Called Dynon this morning. To get the CDI needle to appear on the Dynon display, Dynon tech support indicated that a setting has to be changed in the 496. It may be the same for the other Garmin GPS units.

In the 496 setup menu. Start at the Main Screen, Scroll down to SETUP, Scroll right to INTERFACE, Scroll down to Interface Type, Press MENU, as opposed to enter, Go to Advanced -- NMEA Output Setup -- Change it From FAST to NORMAL

Stein confirmed the change and indicated the change has been implemented. Only the early avionics kits were shipped with the incorrect parameter in the GPS.

Last edited:
How do you like your Dynon?

My only experience with the Dynon was in a Zodiac 601XL. I was not overly impressed. It wasn't all that bright, and some of the features weren't easy to see. I have to admit I only flew for about 1.5 hrs, so there wasn't much time to get adjusted. Can't say I liked the Zodiac all that much, so maybe it influenced my thoughts on the Dynon. Now that you have flown for a bit, how do you like it?

With the canopy down, with the sun directly behind, I have no problem whatsoever seeing the Dynon D-180 screen. I'm happy.

Back